Chapter 11 - Car Ride

Stop thinking about what could go wrong and focus on what could go right
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Josie's POV

   "Kenny! We are going to be late!" I warned.

    "I'll be there in a minute." He yelled back.

   "No he won't." Missy said from her seat on the couch.

   I giggled and sat down beside her. "Homework?" I asked, looking at the book on her lap.

   "Nope. Just a book that Mommy said I would like." Missy replied.

   "Ah." I said.

    "Josie, why do some mommies and daddies not live together?" Missy asked after a minute.

    I smiled. "I don't know sweetie. I've always wondered that myself. But at least your Mommy and Daddy are friends." I replied.

    Missy looked at me. "Were your mommy and daddy friends?" She asked.

    I smiled sadly. "Yeah, they were, before I was born at least." I said.

    Missy thought about that for a minute. "Do I have a good mommy and daddy?" She asked me.

    I hugged her. "You have the best mommy and daddy I've ever met." I told her.

    Missy smiled and hugged me back.

    "What are you two talking about?" Kenny asked, coming into the living room.

    I stood up. "Parents." I replied.

    "Is Lilac coming with us?" Missy asked, looking at the puppy sleeping in her lap.

    "She could. Do you want to bring her with?" Kenny asked.

    Missy gave him a huge smile. "Yay!" She yelled, waking up the puppy.

    I laughed and clipped Lilac's leash onto her collar. "Ok. Kenny, I'll get Missy and Lilac buckled in. Please put shoes on." I told him, then opened the apartment door.

    Missy followed me, holding tightly to Lilac's leash. "Josie, can someone have more than two parents?" She asked.

"I think so." I replied. "June and Kenneth are like my second parents."

"You're like my second mommy." Missy said.

I smiled at her. "Well, if your mommy or daddy got remarried, you would have another mommy or daddy." I said.

Missy nodded. "And they probably wouldn't be evil like Cinderella's stepmother." She said.

I laughed. "No, they probably wouldn't be." I said.

"I can buckle myself." Missy announced proudly as she got into her car seat.

"Really?" I asked, picking up Lilac.

Missy nodded. "Mommy said five year old girls should be able to buckle themselves." She replied.

"That's great." I said, buckling Lilac into her puppy seatbelt.

"Why does Lilac have a seatbelt? Doggies don't usually have seat belts." Missy pronounced.

"Well Lilac is a puppy and it's safer if she has one." I said, then closed the car doors and got into the passenger seat.

"Ok, everyone ready to go?" Kenny asked, hopping into the drivers seat.

"I'm ready Daddy! Can we play I spy?" Missy asked.

"Sure." Kenny agreed. "I spy with my eyes... Something fluffy and cute."

"Daddy! You're suppose to do something that's outside of the car!" Missy said excitedly.

My phone dinged with a text, and I pulled it out of my purse.

   L -  Hey! What are you up to?

   J - Driving down to Pennsylvania

   L - Pennsylvania?

   J - Visiting some friends.

   L - Ah. Isn't that a long trip?

   J - It's about three hours, give or take a couple minutes.

   L - I see. So when are you going to be back?

   J - Not sure, probably late tonight.

   L - Do you have plans for tomorrow night?

   J - Not that I know of. Why?

   L - Can I take you out for dinner?

   I paused for a moment, looking at my phone screen.

   "Josie, why do you look like you're deep in thought?" Kenny asked.

   I looked over at him. "It's nothing. Just thinking." I said.

   "I spy with my little eyes... Something red!" Missy chimed in from the backseat.

   I looked at my phone screen again, then replied to Landon's text.

   J - Sure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
I'm super thankful for y'all this year, and your support for this book is amazing! Keep it up guys! <3