Chapter 5 - Manager

It's ok to be a glowstick.
Sometimes we have to break before we shine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Josie's POV

   Kenny looked at me, and I shrugged, walking into the kitchen.

   "I'm Kenny Rodgers." He said.

Landon looked surprised for a minute. "I'm Landon Elm." He said.

   Kenny frowned. "I'm afraid I don't know exactly why you are here." He said.

   I grabbed my mug and pored some freshly made coffee into it.

   "I heard you're a good manager." Landon said. "May I come in?" He asked.

Kenny nodded, and opened the door.

I grabbed my laptop bag and swung it over my shoulder, then picked up Lilac before grabbing my mug.

I smiled at Kenny, then walked down the hall into my room. After closing the door behind myself, I sat Lilac down on the bed, then unzipped my laptop bag.

Kenny's POV

Landon sat down at the table, and I sat down across from him.

   "My band and I recently... Lost our manager. He wasn't the best, and apparently the only reason he was managing us was to pick up girls." Landon said.

   "One of the guys said you lived here, and his brother had been your boss. Said you were a great worker, and had great managing credentials." He continued.

   "I'm going to be completely honest here." I said.

   Landon nodded.

   "I may have the credentials, but I have no experience. I have only had one job, and I worked in a warehouse." I said, watching for his reaction.

   "You're an honest man. That's the kind of manager we want." Landon said, then stood up.

   "Thank you for your time. Here is my card if you are interested. Think about it." He said before showing himself out.

   I stared at the card for a minute, then looked back towards the bedroom.

I opened the door and peaked in, smiling as I saw Josie fast asleep with Lilac kissing her face.

"Lilac, come here girl." I said softly.

The puppy wagged her tail, then jumped down from the bed and trotted over to me.

"Let your mommy sleep." I scolded her, then I grabbed a blanket and walked over to the living room.

Lilac followed me, then watched me closely as I pulled out the sofa sleeper.

I sighed, and Lilac took that as her chance to jump onto the sofa sleeper.

I sat down beside her, and gathered the little Jack Russell terrier into my lap.

"I don't know what to do girl." I said.

Lilac started to lick my leg, seemingly unaffected by my words.

"It would be a good job that would pay well, and we could have that house we've been dreaming about for the past eight years." I started.

Lilac looked up at me before she returned to licking my leg.

"But then I'd have to work with him. Knowing what he did to Josie. How he broke her heart." I continued.

Lilac must have decided this conversation was over because she walked over to the pillow and lay down.

I chuckled and petted her. "I get the hint. You don't want to talk about it." I said, then smiled as I lay down.