Chapter 4 - Dinner

Nothing worth having comes easy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Josie's POV

   I stepped out of the apartment building, my hair now in a secure side braid.

   I smiled at the doorman, then walked to the restaurant that was next door to our apartment building.

   I stepped in the restaurant, smiling as I saw it was pretty crowed. I spotted Kenny already sitting down, and I slowly made my way over to him.

   "Good evening." I said, sitting into the seat across from Kenny.

   Kenny looked at me, his eyes full of amusement. "Good evening Madam." He said.

   I glared at him. "Did you at least order?" I asked.

    Kenny laughed. "Yes I ordered." He said.

   I took off my jacket. "Good." I said, looking around the place again. "There's certainly a crowd." I commented.

   Kenny nodded. "Yes, there's a band playing here that apparently everyone wants to see. I would have made plans to eat elsewhere, but I didn't want you to have to walk that far." He said.

   "Well thanks for that at least." I answered.

   The waiter brought us our dinner, and we started to eat.

   The band started playing on the stage, and I looked over to see if it was a band I knew.

   "Josie?" Kenny asked, grabbing my hand.

   I blinked, then turned back to him. "Sorry." I said.

   Kenny studied me. "Jo, you look as if you've seen a ghost." He said.

   I didn't say a word, just kept eating, being careful not to look to the stage.

   Kenny's eyes widened in sudden understanding. "Josie." He whispered.

   I sighed, then stood up. "Let's go." I said.

   Kenny grabbed my arm and led me through the crowd as fast as he could.

   I opened the passenger door to our car and got in.

   Kenny sat down in the drivers seat and looked at me. "That was him wasn't it?" He asked.

   I nodded, unable to say anything.

   Kenny had a look on his face that I couldn't read as he drove into the garage we rented.

   "I'm sorry." I whispered.

"Josie, don't apologize." Kenny said.

I sighed and got out of the car.

Kenny led me into the apartment complex, up the stairs, and then opened the door to our apartment.

"Lilac!" I called.

The little puppy came running towards me, her whole body shaking with energy.

I laughed and picked her up. "You're a little thing with a lot of energy." I said.

"Can't argue with you there." Kenny said.

I smiled and put Lilac down. "Movie night?" I asked.

Kenny glanced at me, then smiled. "Sure. Why don't you get the popcorn going." He suggested.

I smiled and walked over to the cupboard.

~Two Hours Later~

"Josie, get the door." Kenny said, his eyes glued to the tv screen.

I rolled my eyes, but stood up and walked over to the door.

I opened the door, masking my surprise at who was standing there.

"Josie?" He asked, looking surprised.

I looked at him, barely believing he was standing in front of me.

"Josie, who is it?" Kenny called.

I grabbed the tv remote from the counter and hit pause.

"Josie!" Kenny said, obviously upset.

"Your eyes were glued to the screen anyway." I said.

Kenny walked over to me, looking annoyed. He looked to the door, the back at me.

I looked at Kenny, and he sighed. I smiled triumphantly and picked up Lilac.

Kenny walked over to the door. "May I help you?" He asked.

"Yes, actually. I was looking for Kenny Rodgers." Landon said.