Epilogue

Epilogue -

Sometimes patience just means sitting on your phone for a couple hours.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ 20 Years Later~

Missy's POV

   I sat down on a stool on the large classroom at the church.

   Slowly, I pulled an envelope out of my purse, tracing my fingers on the writing on the envelope.

   For Missy, it read in Josie's handwriting.

   I carefully opened the envelope, trying not to tear it. The first thing I pulled out was a letter.

   "What's that?" Ten year old Jessica asked, her white dress already looking dirty.

   "A letter." I replied.

   "From who?" Six year old Jaden asked, climbing onto the stool beside me.

   "Someone I knew a long time ago." I told him.

   "Did Mommy and Daddy know them?" Jessica put in.

   "Mom and your daddy knew her very well." I told my half sister.

   "Why isn't she here?" Jaden asked.

   I smiled sadly as I reached out and fixed his tie. "Josie died a long time ago, when I was about your age Jaden." I said.

   "How did she die?"

   "She had cancer." I told Jessica.

   "Kids, leave Missy and her letter alone please." Landon said, walking over with four year old Jasper in his arms.

   "Daddy, when can I get married?" Jessica asked him.

   Landon raised his eyebrows at her. "When you are older, for one." He said.

   "Missy, how many weddings have you been to?" Jade asked me.

   "Only one." I replied, fingering my white dress nervously.

   "And you make just as beautiful a bride as your mother did."

   "Thanks Dad." I said, hugging my father.

   "No problem sweetheart." He replied, then took Jessica's hand. "Come on Jess, let's go practice dancing." He said, leading her away.

   "He's right you know." Landon told me.

   I smiled. "Thanks." I said.

   "Well I think you are a much more beautiful bride then I was." My mother said.

   I laughed. "Oh well." I said.

   Mom smiled at me. "You should read your letter. Come on kids." She said, and my half siblings and step-father followed her to the other side of the room.

   I opened the letter, then read it slowly.

   Dear Missy,
   I love you sweetheart. Don't ever forget that. I'm sure you look amazing, but don't forget that your wedding isn't about the dress, it's about the union.

   If you're reading this, that means you got further than I ever did. But I'm sure by now you've heard stories about that.

   So, Missy, promise me one thing today. That you will never take love for granted. It's a beautiful thing, and I'm glad you get to experience that.

   With love, 
          Josie

   I wiped tears off my cheeks as I looked at the letter in my hand. "I miss you Josie." I whispered.

   "We all do." My Dad said, sitting down beside me.

   "It isn't fair. She was so young, and she had already had enough heartbreak." I said.

   Dad smiled sadly at me. "Maybe that's why she went so soon. She could be with her family, and be happy." He said.

   I nodded, looking over at my mother and step-father. "Did she really make you all promise her one thing in your letters?" I asked.

   Dad nodded. "We've kept them too. Mine was that I'd make sure you married a great man, and I'm certain you will be doing that today. Your mothers was just fulfilled, she was to promise Josie she would give you your letter on your wedding day. And as for Landon's..." Dad trailed off as he looked over at my stepfather.

   "He had to promise he would find someone who would love him as much as Josie did." I finished.

   Dad nodded. "And he did, didn't he?" He asked.

   I nodded, looking over at my family. "Yeah, him and Mom really love each other." I replied.

   Dad nodded as he stood up, and walked over to where they were.

   "I hope I look half as gorgeous as you do when I get married." Josephine said.

   I laughed as I looked at my oldest half sibling, and the one I was closest to. "You're only fourteen." I said to her.

   Josephine laughed. "Well, you met Travis when you were fourteen." She said.

   I nodded. "I never thought I'd marry him though." I said.

   Josephine nodded. "He was so annoying." She said.

   "That's my fiancé you're talking about!" I scolded her.

   Just then, the music started up and my mom and step-father left the room as the rest of us lined up.

   My Dad pulled my veil down to cover my face and I smiled at him. "I love you." I said.

    "I love you too." He replied, then we started walking out to the chapel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   The End.

...For now