Chapter 19 - Broken Hearts

The expert in anything was once a beginner.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~The Next Day~

Josie's POV

"Josie?" Landon asked me.

"Yeah?" I looked at our interlaced hands.

"How is your new house?"

I smiled and looked at Landon. "Everything I always wanted. The kitchen-"

"Which you can't use." Landon interrupted.

I glared at him, then giggled as he glared back. "The kitchen is really big, and has a lot of storage space. And having three bedrooms is amazing, Kenny doesn't have to sleep on the pullout bed and when Missy is with us she doesn't have to sleep on the couch."

"That's great. Did she like the color of her room?" Landon asked.

"Yeah." I said, pouty look on my face.

"Then what's that look for?" Landon raised his eyebrows at me.

"I think she would have liked her father painted yellow too." I said.

"Well, maybe she would have." He chuckled, sitting down on a park bench.

I shrugged and sat down next to him. "Thanks for helping." I said.

"No problem. We make a good team ya know." Landon replied, looking at me.

I smiled, slipping my hand into his again. "I suppose we do." I whispered.

Landon studied me for a minute. "You look so beautiful." He said.

I blushed and looked down at my light green maxi dress. "Thanks." I said softly.

"I never thought I'd have this again." Landon said.

I frowned. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"You. I never thought I'd have you again. I woulda thought someone would have married you by now." He responded.

"Some tried." I replied softly.

"How many?" Landon asked me.

"Well, Kenny and I thought we were serious, but obviously that didn't work out." I started.

Landon watched me as I continued.

"I was engaged about four years ago." I admitted.

"What happened?" Landon asked gently.

"Car accident." I whispered, wiping a tear off my cheek. "A drunk driver ran into his car on the way to his bachelor party."

Landon wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "The drunk driver was fine, wasn't he?" He asked softly.

I nodded. "Kenny was in the accident too. His leg was seriously broken, he wore a cast for six months." I whispered.

"I'm sorry." Landon said.

I wiped my tears away. "It's been a long time since I've thought about him." I said.

Landon was quiet as he sat beside me.

I looked over at him. "What are you thinking about so much?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I can tell when you've been thinking about something Landon." I said. "And you are right now."

Landon was still quiet as he studied me. "Josie, I love you." He said.

I felt a tear slip out down my cheek. "I love you too." I whispered.

"I love you so much Josie, and I never stopped loving you. Will you be my girlfriend?" Landon asked.

I felt more tears slide down my cheeks as I slid my hand out of his. "Landon, I love you so much." I whispered.

"But I don't want to break your heart."