Chapter 14 - Painting

Remember, tomorrow is a second chance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Two Weeks Later~

   Josie's POV

   "I'll get the door!" I yelled, walking over to the house door.

   I opened it. "Hey Landon." I said.

   He smiled. "You need help painting?" He asked.

    I nodded. "Kenny is working on the living room right now, and he's almost done with that. We can get started on Missy's bedroom." I said.

   "Hey." Landon greeted Kenny as we passed him.

    "Make sure to put the plastic on the floor. Josie didn't do that earlier and now I have to clean paint off of the floor." Kenny said.

   "In my defense, he just handed me a can of paint and a brush and told me to 'get to work'." I said to Landon.

   Landon chuckled and helped me lay out the sheets of plastic on the bedroom floor. "How many bedrooms are there in this place?" He asked.

   "Three. One for Kenny, one for me and one for Missy." I replied, opening up the yellow paint.

   "Who is Missy?" Landon asked as he poured some of the paint into a tray.

   I grabbed a paintbrush and dipped it into a can. "She's Kenny's daughter." I started.

   Landon grabbed the roller and dipped it into the tray, then started to paint the walls.

   "Kenny and Melody were really serous, like probably the most serious relationship Kenny has ever had.

   They really loved each other, and when Melody discovered she was pregnant, they were both really happy." I continued.

   Kenny dipped the roller into the paint tray again as he listened to my story.

   "Something happened when I was out of town writing for a couple months. Neither of them have told me what happened, so I'm not completely sure myself.

   But, when I got back, I didn't come home to the happy couple I expected. Instead, Melody and Kenny were talking about custody arrangements." I sighed.

   "They both still love each other, but they aren't in love. They get along perfectly well, and Missy loves them both. They've never fought over her, and the custody arrangement isn't followed very well, but neither of them care." I said.

   "Wow." Landon said.

   I smiled. "Yeah." I said.

   "Did you and Kenny go out?" Landon asked.

   I dipped my paintbrush into the paint can again. "You're really asking the complicated questions today." I said.

   "You don't have to answer if you don't want to." Landon said, climbing up the ladder.

   "No, it's fine. Yeah, we dated for about two years." I answered.

   "What happened?" Landon asked.

   I shrugged. "We didn't like each other like that. We broke up, and bought an apartment a week later. We're more like siblings than anything." I said.

   "So you're like Missy's aunt?" Kenny asked.

   I giggled. "Kinda. I love her just as much as her parents do." I said.

   "Well, now that Josie's told you all of my stories, I should tell you hers." Kenny said, walking into the room.

    I glared at him. "Don't you dare." I said.

   Kenny looked at me innocently. "I think I should start with the first time Josie tried to wash the dishes." He said.

   I held up my paintbrush, loaded with paint. "Kenny, I think yellow would be a good color for you." I said.

   "And I think I'm going to get out of here before I become a human canvas." Kenny said, then left the room.