Chapter 6 - Buying a House

Lay your burdens down at the feet of God, and he will ease your load.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Two Days Later~

Kenny's POV

I watched Landon walk into the bar and look around. I took a swig of my beer and waited for him to spot me.

"You said you wanted to speak to me?" Landon asked, sliding into the stool beside me.

I set down my empty beer glass. "I did." I answered.

Landon watched me. "And?" He asked.

"I'm sorry, but I cannot be your manager." I said.

Landon frowned. "Why?" He asked.

"I found a job that's more suited for me." I answered, then nodded to the bartender.

He walked over.

"I'll take another beer to go." I said.

The bartender nodded, and went to get it.

He handed it to me, then watched me. "The lassie isn't going to like that." He said.

I took a chug of beer. "I know." I answered, then walked out of the bar.

Josie's POV

I looked up as Kenny walked into the apartment.

"You were drinking." I said.

He frowned at me. "How did you know?" He asked, pulling a mug out of the cupboard.

"Kenny, I've only known you for nine years." I said, walking over to the kitchen.

His eyes twinkled as he turned on the coffee maker. "The bartender called you." He said. It was a statement, not a question.

I glared at him. "I would have smelled it on your breath anyway." I grumbled.

Kenny raised his eyebrows, but didn't say anything.

I sighed and sat down. "You found a job you said?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Yes." Kenny answered, handing me a cup of coffee.

I stared at him, taking the mug. "And?" I asked after I took a sip.

Kenny sat down beside me and took a sip of his own coffee before replying. "It's just like the one I had before, except for a bigger company and it will be a dollar more an hour." He said.

I was quiet.

"Josie?" Kenny asked. "What's on your mind?"

"My editor is selling her house." I said, finally looking at him.

Kenny looked at me. "I have a feeling there's more to it then that." He said.

I smiled. "She's willing to sell it to us for less then it's worth." I said softly.

Kenny met my gaze. "Because we can't afford it otherwise." He finished.

I nodded. "I don't want to take charity." I said.

Kenny sighed. "Nor do I, but we really need a place." He said.

I nodded in agreement, taking another sip of my coffee.

    Kenny stood up. "Well, sometimes we will have to accept help." He said, then left the room.

   I smiled, knowing Kenny wasn't happy about this, but it would be the best thing for us.

   I finished my coffee, then put my cup into the sink along with Kenny's.

   I walked over to the bedroom and smiled as I saw Kenny look over at me.

   "Best part about the house is that I will have more than one bedroom." I whispered. "I'm tired of one of us sleeping on the couch."

   Kenny stood up. "I agree." He whispered, smiling. "Sleep well."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what do y'all think of this book? Would you like me to post more often?

I'd like to hear your thoughts! <3