Chapter 9 - Freckles

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~The Next Day~

   Josie's POV

   I stepped into Freckles, and looked around the restaurant. I didn't see Landon anywhere, so I sat down in the nearest booth.

    Landon walked in a minute later, and slid into the bench across from me.

   I read the menu, even though I knew it by heart. I was suddenly regretting meeting Landon here.

   "May I take your order?" A waitress asked Landon.

   "Take her order first please." Landon said, gesturing to me.

    The waitress smiled. "I already know what Josie wants." She said.

   Landon looked confused.

    "Our special is the meatball madness. Would you like that?" The waitress asked Landon.

   "Sure." Landon said, closing his menu.

    The waitress smiled and put her notebook into her apron pocket. "I will be back with your orders in a minute." She said, then hurried away.

    "You come here often?" Landon asked.

   I shrugged. "It's the best food in town." I said.

   At that moment, my phone started ringing.

   "I'm sorry, I have to answer this." I said. "Excuse me a minute."

   "June? Is everything alright?" I asked, answering the phone.

   "Yes Darlin. I was just callin to ask you and Kenny to come down and have dinner with us next Saturday." She said.

   "That sounds great." I said.

   "Kenny will come, won't he?" June asked.

   I smiled. "I'll drag him down if I have to. We will be there, I promise." I said.

   "Thanks Darlin. I'll see you then." June said before hanging up.

   I put my phone back into my purse and turned back to Landon.

    "Here are your meals." The waitress said, setting a plate in front of each of us.

   I smiled at her. "Thank you." I said.

    She grinned. "No problem Josie. If it isn't too much trouble, could I drop Missy off in the morning on Friday?" She asked.

"Of course Melody." I replied.

Melody smiled again. "Thanks Jo. I'll see you then." She said, then walked away.

"You know her?" Landon asked.

"I know just about every waitress that works here." I replied, grabbing my napkin.

Landon eyed my lettuce wrapped tofu burger. "I didn't see that on the menu." He commented.

I smiled. "It isn't on the menu." I replied truthfully.

We ate in silence for a few minutes, before I broke it.

"Why did you want to meet with me anyway?" I asked.

"I figured you may be due an explanation." Landon replied.

"You mean an explanation for why you broke up with me a month before our wedding?" I asked without missing a beat.

Landon flinched slightly. "Yeah, that." He said.

I didn't reply, just took a bite of my burger.

Landon sighed. "Look, Josie, I'm sorry. I really am. I wanted to apologize for what I did." He said.

I picked up my purse and stood up. "Thanks for apologizing. That was mature of you. Now if you'll excuse me, I have somewhere to be." I said, then walked out of the restaurant, not bothering to finish or clean up my food.