chapter twenty-three // terrified.

zayn's pov

"Mate!" 

I've never been so happy to hear the lads' voices before. They all smile and throw their hands up as they excitedly greet Linley and I. But the moment their eyes land on the other two tagging along, their smiles falter ever-so-slightly.

After spending the entire day in Jonny Delark's fucking mansion of a tent, I finally pried Linley off of his lap, practically begging her to leave so we can get back to our friends. If I had to sit in that place and watch Jonny shamelessly flirt with Linley and Linley fall for every one of his tricks, I was going to hang myself. 

But of course Linley and I just couldn't get out of there. Jonny insisted on joining, saying he'd love to meet our friends. And knowing I couldn't just let Linley flirt with Jonny, I asked Kenzi if she'd like to come along as well. She wanted to come just as much as I wanted the two of them to come, but she wasn't going to let Jonny go by himself with Linley. 

After spending some time with Kenzi, I saw how absolutely and ridiculously she was in love with Jonny. She looked at him as if she were seeing a flower for the first time. It made me even more angry with Jonny. He had a perfectly fine girl with him, yet he has to go and steal mine. 

Mine? I shake my head free of that thought, having absolutely no fucking clue where that came from. I nearly laugh out loud at the mere thought of Linley and I. 

"Everyone, this is Jonny Delark and his bandmate Kenzi, from the group The Young and Stupid," Linley introduces our lovely guests to everyone.

Tea lets out a gasp from her seat beside Ed around the fire. I roll my eyes, remembering how she was a fan of them as well. Great, another girl Jonny can try to steal the heart of with his bullshit poetry and greasy hair. Though part of me wishes he goes after Tea and leaves Linley alone; sorry Ed. 

"These are Zayn's bandmates," Linley gestures to the lads, who are all currently roasting hot dogs over the bonfire they never seem to leave.

She continues to make introductions to our large friend group that has joined Harry and I on our little weekend vacation. Jonny wears a cocky grin as he looks around the group, thinking he's so much better than all of us. 

I'd punch him square in the jaw if I knew Linley wouldn't beat the living shit out of me in return. Although at this moment, I'm honestly considering taking the chance. 

"It's lovely to meet you," Sable speaks up, giving a friendly smile to Jonny and Kenzi both, surprising me with her friendliness. I didn't receive this warm welcome when I first met her, that's for sure, "Sit down," She gestures to the open seats around the fire, which Jonny and Kenzi graciously take. 

Linley follows behind the two of them, sitting beside Jonny on one of the benches, leaving me to sit on the open lawn chair in between her and Harry. I don't even attempt to wear a pleasant look on my face as I slump down in my seat. The lads all give me confused looks.

Sable meets my eyes from across the fire, wearing an incredibly smug look that screams 'I told you so'. I roll my eyes and slip her the middle finger, letting her know loud and clear that Linley is not breaking my heart. For she has to have my heart in order to break it. 

Instead of getting the irritated response I was hoping for, she shoots me a sympathetic frown before returning her eyes to Linley and Jonny, watching them carefully. A flicker of hope ignites in my chest, knowing that if there were anyone to get Linley away from Jonny, it would be Sable. 

"Hey mate," Harry grabs my attention, causing me to look upon my best mate who hasn't been all that happy with me these past few days, "Is everything okay?" He asks, sounding rather concerned.