chapter twenty-eight // sunflowers.

linley's pov

The sun's rays shine in through the window, casting a light show upon the tangle mess of white sheets. I reach out just slightly, allowing my skin to illuminate beneath the bright morning sun. Though I'm afraid to move too much, scared that it'll shatter this small little bubble I've been hiding in since last night. 

I just stare at that small little sun spot, shining down upon my pale skin with wide, terrified eyes. I bite down on my bottom lip to keep myself from trembling beneath the soft, silky hand that rests upon my bare back.

How did this happen?

I can try to blame it upon the liquor, but that still doesn't change the fact that I didn't even have a sip of it last night. I can try to blame it upon Zayn's skill of being a smooth talker, but that still doesn't change the fact that it was he who was trying to think rationally last night. 

It all boils down to my feelings for Zayn that I have been running away from for the past few days. They finally caught up with me, and when they did, they crashed over me like a tidal wave. 

I've never felt this way ever before in my entire life. It feels like this enjoyable pain deep within my chest; a pain that I never want to go away.

But how do I even begin to explain this to Zayn? I'm sure he's lying there, wide awake, confused as to what happened last night. How do I even begin telling him that I'm in... love with him. I've known him for five days; it's idiotic. 

That's why I won't say anything of the sort. I'll tell him that it was a spur of the moment decision. I'll explain to him that we're both attractive people, so it was bound to happen eventually. I'll lie and say that it didn't mean anything.

My stomach twists itself in knots as I squeeze my eyes shut, wishing I weren't in this situation. This is exactly what happens when you allow your emotions to take over. You end up seducing a boy that hates your guts, causing a whole lot of confusion to be found in the morning. 

I'm about to continue wallowing in my own stupidity a little bit longer when a movement causes my breath to hitch in my throat. Zayn's thumb starts creating little circles at the base of my spine, causing goosebumps to involuntarily rise from my flesh. 

The hand that's basking beneath the warmth of the sun begins to tremble slightly, forcing me to retreat it, pulling it back to the safety of my own side.

Knowing I can't pretend to be asleep any longer, I shift my position, lifting my head up only to turn it in the other direction, resting upon Zayn's chest. 

I glance up in his direction, catching him staring up at the ceiling, wearing the same shell-shocked expression I had on my face a few moments ago. It gives me a feeling of relief, knowing I'm not the only one slightly panicked about the whole situation. 

"Morning," I whisper, venturing out on a limb.

The sound of my voice awakens Zayn. I watch as he slowly descends back to Earth, falling into reality. It takes a moment to adjust, but when he does, he turns to look me in the eyes, a smile painted on his soft pink lips. 

And then, at that moment, all my fear washes away. He flashes me that sincere smile full of adoration - the eighth wonder of the world - and all those panicked thoughts that filled my brain from the moment I woke up disappear into thin air. 

"Morning," He whispers back, his voice deep and rumbling inside his chest, causing my toes to curl ever-so-slightly. 

My fingers skim across his chest, moving in sync with the movement he creates upon my lower back. My eyes glance down, staring at his bare chest. A small smile flashes on my face as I recall my lips pressing against the tattooed pair placed directly on his sternum last night.