The day it all started

It all started in this same day of the year, the same day the doctors used to show them off to the other members of the society, the same day their plan was going the way it should before everything went down in flames, before the fire broke out and destroyed everything leaving him calling his best friend's name asking to be set free, the same day Enzo looked him in the eyes with no emotions and turned his back on him leaving him to be consumed by the fire if it wasn't for one of the scientists that got him out & then sent him back to hell for another 50 years.

It's been ever since that night that the society stopped showing the vampires to its members, it's been ever since then that he knew he'd never see anything outside his cell and that nasty lab.

The experiments kept on getting more and more violent each time & the only thing that kept him sane was when the doctors allowed him to paint on the cell walls & got him paint every now and then. A Doctor called Dean Williams allowed him to paint after 15 years of being back to that hell hole, he said that painting helps him emotionally and makes him heal faster which to Damon was totally nonsense but he took what he could get without complaining.

And although the experiments were growing more painful everyday he never turned it off, he tried his best to hold on and managed to keep his mind busy thinking about all the memories he had with his loved ones.

Today the doctor never came, he usually spends the day with his family to celebrate just like he used to with his brother when they were both still humans, he remembered how that changed when they turned and how he used to watch Stefan and his best friend celebrate and how he used to buy his brother presents and send them to him with Lexi....

Damon and Lexi were walking in the dark forest behind the Salvatore mansion, her wearing her green dress and Damon in his usual attire from those days back then.

Lexi "I just wish you could give it to him yourself

Lexi "I just wish you could give it to him yourself."

Damon "You know I can't do that lex. he's better off without me around him."

Lexi "Hmmm. maybe one day he'd be able to deal with his blood lust the way you do and then agrees to your lifestyle."

Damon "Maybe, but it's not about my lifestyle or his blood lust and you know it. either ways he still has you with him" he said that shrugging.

Lexi "I know it's been a couple of years ever since you left but he needs you with him too Damon. I won't be enough he needs his big brother." she answered him emotionally.

Damon " If you by any chance missed it let me give it to you straight; he hates me Lex, he doesn't want nor need me. He thinks I knew Katherine was compelling him and YET I did nothing about it. He thinks I sold him out to her Lexi, my little brother thinks I'd let her harm him knowingly and sit back and watch. He thinks I betrayed him while I spent the entire time thinking vise versa and once we turned he just couldn't believe that I didn't know. He believed what Katherine told him thinking that with the compulsion wearing off he'd know the truth on his own. HE REFUSES TO LISTEN TO ME LEXI." He said it like it hurt him to even speak raising his voice with every word.

Lexi turned to him and gave him a worried look before she tried to talk again.

Lexi " But that doesn't mean you should give up, you have to try and talk to him again."

Damon " Yeah ! and he would believe me right away." He answered her sarcastically.

Lexi "Why aren't you willing to give it a try ?"Her voice also raising.

Damon " Because I know my brother Lex. He's stubborn and he won't change his mind and honestly I don't care anymore all I care about is his safety and happiness and he's happy even if that meant I'd stay away from him for the rest of our lives, it's been 30 years already." His voice got sad and low at the end.

Lexi " if he just knew how much you care about him" She said sadly.

Damon " But he doesn't, let's just keep it this way." He answered smirking.

Lexi " Oh and I wonder where from your brother gets his stubbornness." She said smiling sadly.

Damon "Whatever, Just make sure he gets the book. he was so eager to read it and getting him a signed first copy with a dedication was really a hard thing to do."

Lexi " I will and thanks for the necklace Day I know it's hard to get a witch make you one

Lexi " I will and thanks for the necklace Day I know it's hard to get a witch make you one." she said smiling widely tracing her fingers across her new piece of Jewellery.

Damon " No problem" He said shrugging and the continued playfully... " You know I have a Bennette Line of witches up my sleeve." He winked at her and then turned around heading away from the mansion before Stefan could see him but not before his heightened senses picked up her goodbyes

Lexi "Goodbye my Dark Prince" came her voice from behind him...

Damon "See You soon Lex" he replied in a voice above a whisper.

This night Damon stood and watched Lexi and Stefan exchanging gifts by the fire place from one of the big windows of the mansion.

________________________________________________________________________

Only those memories Kept him going without losing his sanity only those memories kept his humanity intact, he smiled to himself and drifted to sleep only to be woken up by a loud bang coming from the basement door that made his entire body shiver, this was not supposed to happen the crazy doctor shouldn't be back today... Something was REALLY wrong.