My Brother's Nightmares

It was three in the morning when I heard Damon's screams and cries. I ran to his room and slammed the door open to find him curled in his sheets sweating and twitching with tears running down his cheeks.... It was strange to see him acting like that. He was whimpering now whispering pleas for someone to stop. 

I focused to hear it clearly, and was saddened when I found out he was pleading our father to stop... I went to his side and shook him gently at first, but then it grew rougher when he didn't wake up until he flinched and bolted into a seating position gasping for air. 

He looked confused to see me beside him, then he relaxed. "Did I wake you up?" He asked in a strained voice. I patted his shoulder and smiled at him "No, you didn't. I was in my room reading and waiting for Lexi and Enzo to come back home" I replied calmly. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly trying to calm himself which obviously didn't work so I asked him "Was it that bad?! Would you like to talk about it, Damon?" 

He looked at me and smiled sadly. He looked ashamed but for god's sake when did Damon ever feel ashamed or shy... "It's nothing I haven't shown you yesterday. Just the regular. Don't worry about it, I'll be fine" He answered reassuringly but I knew better than to believe him. He was just playing it down in front of me so that I won't feel worried.

I thought of suggesting therapy, but knowing Damon he'd just deflect or lash out. I was so lost in my thoughts to realize that Damon left the room... when I didn't find him I went downstairs to find he was making some tea. He was mixing some herbs and boiling water. "What are you doing?" I asked walking into the kitchen catching his attention so he raised his head and smiled at me.

"Herbal tea... want some? It's good for the nerves" He answered mixing the herbs and water, pouring it into two mugs, adding some honey to the mix and then handing me one of them. I just kept staring at him... when did the gap between me and him grow that much?? we used to be so close. Now I felt like I don't recognize my own brother, the guy that was one day my best friend and my role model. It was heartbreaking that I had to avert my eyes from him before he realized them tearing. 

"Are you visiting Sheila tomorrow? You said that you're breaking your curse soon" I asked in an attempt to lighten the tension and engage him into conversation, but he just nodded without uttering any words. The front door opened and Lexi came in laughing with Enzo right after her ...They came to a halt when they spotted us in the kitchen. Lexi came in, patted me on the back and went to the fridge to grab some juice, while Enzo went towards Damon "Hello mate, how's it going? You look dishevelled" He said  stopping beside Damon who put his mug down and stared at it. 

"It's happening again Enzo" Damon said shaking his head and Enzo looked worried making me feel annoyed

"It's happening again Enzo" Damon said shaking his head and Enzo looked worried making me feel annoyed ... What the Fuck ?! What are these two talking about ?! I felt a hint of jealousy in my chest, but they continued their conversation unaware of what I was feeling or thinking "After all this time?" Asked Enzo in a serious tone "I know, I should've got used to it after all." Damon said sarcastically.