LOVE BITES Chapter 2 : The Truth of Reality

Chapter 2 : The Truth of Reality

With my arms folded over my chest, I pursed my lips, balancing a Bic pen between my top lip and nose, and stared at the blank page laid out in front of me.

Why did you have to exist, Shakespeare?

With frustration I threw the pen on the desk, watching it roll off the side and onto the wooden floor at my feet. I knew I shouldn't take my frustrations out on good ol' Shakey because after all, it wasn't his fault I was the way I was. With the most effort I'd shown all afternoon, I face-planted the white page that had yet to have a single sentence completed.

I really am a disputable human being.

I turned my face to the side, blonde hair loosely draping across my face and acting as a curtain in front of my eyes. I blew at it and watched it wave with each cool breath I let out.

He and I, we're so different.

My gaze unfocused, the curtain of hair before my eyes blurring. It was a stark blonde colour, almost white, and nothing compared to his.

He had jet black hair, as dark as the deadest hour of the night. It fell across his face, stopping above the definite line of his cheekbones. It was a perfect length; long enough to enjoy combing your fingers through. Not that I'd ever touched him, but imagination made it real enough.

Maybe I was just romanticising it, but the way his hair fell over his eyes made him look all the more handsome. He had the type of eyes that once you caught a glimpse of, they would forever burn themselves into your mind.

"Ahhhh, Nikki!" I exclaimed, sitting up and ruffling my hair. "Stop thinking about him!" I snatched my pen up from the floor and holding it tightly between my fingers, I lean't over the blank page with my face scrunched in determination.

My eye twitched. The longer I stared at the blank page, the more what I forgot all about the essay topic. Write... write something... anything... just write...

Just before my pen could touch the page, my ears picked up the sudden creak of the front door opening. I froze.

He's back.

"Right!" I said, clapping my hands to the desk. "That was a good solid effort of studying! Better than last night. I'm proud of you, Nikki." Content, I stood up and left my working desk, sighing in relief as the thought of commitment left my shoulders.

I turned my attention to the door at the other end of the room. I crept towards it, my toes quietly touching the cold pine boards of my bedroom floor. I grabbed the metal handle but stopped to listen for anyone in the hallway. Nothing. He was always like that; silent as a cat.

I took a deep breath to compose myself then slowly, with nerves bound down, I twisted the handle and pulled the door open. The shadows of the dark hallway greeted me, creeping along the walls until they found their way into the opening of my room. At the same moment, I heard the sudden motion of a door shut; the door to his bedroom down the hallway.

The cold air nipped at my bare legs as I snuck my way down the long hallway. There was an eager smile on my face as I lifted my knuckles to knock on the wooden panel of his door.

When I was younger, when my hair used to reach past my bottom and constantly filled with pieces of food, I would run to his room when he came back late just so I could see his face and feel his warm body as he held me tightly to his chest.

I want to see him.

I moved to knock on his door.

I want to.