LOVE BITES Chapter 9 : Sparks of Happiness

Chapter 9 : Sparks of Happiness

Draven's words drummed in my mind on repeat. "Your parents say hi. They should drop in... soon."

Your parents? What was he talking about? Had he meant Alastair's parents? But Alastair's parents were my parents too. And they couldn't 'drop in' as he put it; they're dead, and had been for the past 13 years.

Why would he say something like that?

Before I could voice any of my questions, Alastair's feet began to move again. He continued walking, pulling me by the wrist behind him.

Just before we turned the corner, I locked eyes with Draven. There was an twisted grin on his face that changed the entire look of him. Right before he vanished from sight, his mouth moved as if he was saying something and he winked at me.

"I'll see you around." I read his lips and was positive that was what he said.

I stumbled after Alastair as he pulled me through the cinema. His long strides were hard enough to keep up with without him moving quicker. Something was wrong with him. He rushed me through a group who were entering the cinema, I did my best to avoid colliding with any of them.

"Al- wait, slow down," I tried to reason as he pulled through the car park and towards Brianna's blue Camry.

Brianna had offered to drive us earlier so we didn't bother to bring our own car. It was obvious Alastair wanted to leave right now, for reasons unknown to me, but if he had the crazy that he could take her car without any repercussions, he'd have to reconsider. Plus, he needed the keys and Brianna had them.

I took a moment to look back at the cinema, half expecting to see Draven following us out. What the hell was that just now? Next thing I knew, Alastair's hand was gone from my wrist and he was holding the car door open for me.

"Wha- how?" I gasped.

"Just get in the car, Nikki," Alastair said and nudged me into the passenger's seat. He swung the door shut with a thud and strode over to the drivers side. He seemed to be having an internal battle about something.

"Alastair," I said once he got in the car himself, "this is Brianna's car, we can't just take it. How is she going to get home?"

His response was short and clipped as he searched around the car for something. "Zachary can drive her. I will also return her car once I take you home."

I picked up on the part where he said he would take me home. "Why do I have to go home?" I argued. "And who was that Draven guy?"

Alastair didn't respond and instead pulled a set of keys out of the glove box. I assumed they were a spare set. His movements were quick and sharp as he shoved the key into the ignition and roared the vehicle to life. Without looking at me, he backed out of the car park and sped away from the cinema.

"You obviously knew him," I continued. "Were you friends during high school or something?" Again he didn't respond but this time I hardly noticed with the amount of questions piling in my mind. My mouth couldn't move fast enough. "What was he talking about before, Alastair? About our parents I mean. Do you have any idea why he said that? And who did he think he was acting so cocky. Has he always made moves on girls like that? What an idiot."