LOVE BITES Chapter 34 : Shades

A/N: Sorry for going MIA on yo asses, nobody told me adulting would be this hard :"(

Yes I know it's not Sunday but I've already missed a few and refuse to make you wait another second so here you go! Enjoy :}

Chapter 34 : Shades

I gulped.

Staring up at the glass panelled windows and peaking at what was inside the store was menacing enough; I didn't need to bother walking through those doors to know what I was in for.

But, I had already made up my mind. I was going to do this. There was no backing out.

My breath hitched upon hearing a riot of kids run by. Anxiously, I covered my face with my long hair and shuffled out of a family's path as they came tearing past with a pram and a multitude of small children.

I watched them from the corner of my eye, a part of me cowering a little further away as they flew by in a flurry. It wasn't just out of embarrassment at the thought of their opinions of me waiting outside of a place like this. They probably assumed I was simply window shopping, or perhaps they hadn't even noticed me at all. What really had my stepping to the side was the fear that this moment of stability I was currently floating in would break and I'd snap and attack that unfortunate family.

They were, one could think, merely walking blood banks. Fit for the soul purpose of fuelling the undead's ambitions.

I tried to ignore that insidious and spurious thought.

They were people, just like me with their many flaws and positive attributes, I reminded myself.

Maybe if I said it enough, the darker side of myself would see it as true also.

Just like me.

Or rather, was I just like them?

I turned over my shoulder, watching the shroud of people float by on their phones or laughing with friends, a clear destination in mind, whether that was to make a coffee date or purchase the latest movie.

My brows crinkled together, observing the way each person walked, calculating the steps they took, the heavy air they breathed.

I was one of these many people, I realised. I was one of them before the shadowed, secret half of this world was torn apart and my true nature was revealed. Before then, we were part of the same crowd.

Now there was a noticeable difference.

A barrier between these people and I.

So very different, we were.

A shadow in my vision moved.

The loud and bustling mall came back to life, hitting me like a tidal wave and filling my eardrums with incredible noise. I drew my brows together in a scowl, watching how the world seemed to unfreeze and people returned to what they were previously doing.

I blinked a few times, my conscious fading.

What was I thinking about again?