LOVE BITES Chapter 10 : Dull Past

Chapter 10 : Dull Past

Alastair's POV

At long last she finally fell asleep.

Taking note of the page I was at I closed the book in my hand and with a silent sigh laid back in my chair beside Nikki's bed. My eyes wandered over her sleeping form, the purple duvet clinging to the curves of her petite body.

It had taken almost an hour for her to fall asleep. At first she refused, arguing that she wasn't tired, and so I pulled a chair up beside her bed and stayed with her until she eventually drifted off. Nikki was unwell for reasons unexplained. She needed as much rest as she could get to snuff out that burning fever.

I moved closer, sitting beside her on the edge of the bed. Instinctively she curled around me and mumbled something incoherent in her sleep. A smile pulled at the corner of my lips and I swept a lock of blonde hair from her forehead. My fingers brushed her cheek, her skin soft and warm.

She was truly beautiful, more so than even Lady Marisa.

I always knew she would be.

Nikki sighed deeply in her sleep. It brought my attention to her neck and the red marks fading there. She had finally removed that God forsaken scarf, revealing what I had left against her flawless skin nights before.

I traced the marks along her collarbone with my fingertips. It was a foolish thing for I to have done, but, at the time...

I felt a twinge of pain in my mouth and knew it was my fangs elongating. I couldn't help but remember the sweet taste of skin and the addiction it had been. I could have taken her that night, I wanted to, hell did I want to. Should have.

My eyes dropped to her lips. They were full and pouted; utterly kissable. It was hard to believe that this woman before me was once a misfitted little girl.

I listened to her breathing; it was even and relaxed with the sedative of a lullaby. I leant closer, the bed groaning beneath the weight of our two bodies, and braced myself either side of her head. My nostrils flared as I breathed her in. Her scent was both overwhelming and alluring all at once, something close to freshly peeled apples and rain. Such a fitting scent for someone as innocent as herself. Want her.

My eyes trailed lower, honing in on her neck. I felt the sharpness of my teeth against my tongue and a bloody haze clouded my vision. The only thing I saw, the only thing I wanted, was her. Why couldn't I bite her? I could make her into an immortal again, a Creature Of Darkness. It wouldn't be that difficult. What was stopping me? It wasn't right to deny what was mine anyway. Take her.

My breathing grew harsher, fangs protruding from my lips and aching to sink themselves into flesh -- her flesh. I wanted to turn her, to make her mine. Fight it. My nails dug into the bedding beside her head. Mine.

I bowed my head, mouth lowering to the curve of her neck. My tongue darting out, licking and tasting her sweet skin. As if sensitive to my touch her skin trembled beneath my lips. Her reaction, although being asleep, made it all the more difficult to hold back. Can't fight it.

Attempting not to tear her flesh apart, I opened my mouth wide and inhaled deeply before slowly biting down, the tips of my fangs pricking her creamy skin.