LOVE BITES Chapter 22 : Drunk in Love

A/N: cue Beyoncé...

Chapter 22 : Drunk in Love

Nikki's POV

The outside world appeared abuzz, blurry and disorienting.

Colours were meshed together and all I could make out was the outline and shadows of objects. Cold air was rushing into my lungs, the action new and frightening and in consequence shrill cries filled the open air. Something soft was wrapped around my body. I couldn't move, but I felt more secure. Still I continued to cry.

A large hand cupped the back of my head with caution, another on my lower back. "Marisa, she's beautiful," a deep voice whispered gently.

"Give her to me, please."

I was passed and held against a hot, sweat bathed chest. Another hand, soft and smaller this time, brushed over my head. My tears turned into upset mumbles as the world began to rock and I heard the rhyme of a heartbeat. It was soothing and my cries ceased. Above me, the outline of a face came into focus.

Ringlets of dark black hair framed a beautiful face and bright blue eyes. The lady smiled, choking on a sob and brushed another soft finger across my forehead. Another face appeared in my vision, one with dark eyes -- whether they were pure black I couldn't be sure, but the longer I stared, the more focused the picture in front of me became.

"Alastair, would you like to hold her?"

The next minute, I was moving to the arms of another. I babbled in discontentment, twisting within the confines of the blanket and fanning my tiny hands with protest. I wanted to be back in the secure arms of my mother.

Someone new with an enticing scent handled me. I squirmed, my petite body racking with cries once more. Suddenly, in my struggling attempt, my hand caught hold of another, singling out their pinky and wrapping around it tightly. My wails of complaints ceased all together and I gazed up into adoring eyes.

With such delicacy, their thumb brushed over my cheek and I witnessed the first smile of affection that lit up his face.

"Hello, Nikki. It's nice to meet you."

I woke to the echoing sound of something shattering in the house.

I rolled over, drearily pulling myself onto my elbows. Long blonde hair curled with knots trailed along the pillow after me.

"Alastair?" I mumbled groggily, still half asleep. The dream faded from memory and I was left with an empty feeling in my chest.

I rubbed my tired eyes and assessed the room around me. The sudden crash of what sounded like glass came rushing back to me and I snapped my head in the direction of the door, listening to the creaks and moans but otherwise deafening silence of the manor.

It was then that I became aware of the darkness circulating me. Except, it wasn't the nothingness I was used to seeing upon waking during the late hours of the night. Surprisingly, I could still see. Rubbing my eyes again, my vision didn't change. It wasn't a trick of the imagination.

Am I...? Is this night vision?

Do vampires posses the ability to see in the dark?