Chapter 13

WARNING: MAY CAUSE CRYING.

Italics are flashbacks

~Chapter 13~

~Peeta’s POV~

Katniss and Paylor walk out of the room, I hear the door of the balcony slide open and shut. I wonder what their talking about. “Peeta, I’m sure it will be fine.” Johanna says next to me snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah you’re right.” I say reassuring myself more than her. A few minutes later Paylor walks in.

“Well, have a great night everyone. I have to go, I’m sure I’ll see you all at the next meeting,” She says and with that she leaves us. The conversation is dead for a moment. We all jump when there’s a clatter on the floor, Finn dropped his sippy cup and started crying.

“Huh?! Wazzgoinon?” Haymitch woke up.

“The baby dropped his drink.” Johanna says slightly annoyed, I’m guessing she doesn’t like crying kids. Haymitch wipes the cake off his face. Annie takes Finn in her arms and try's to get him to stop crying and tries to give him the sippy cup but it’s not working, Annie starts to panic slightly.

“Here, I’ll take him.” We all look at Haymitch when he speaks.

“Are you sure?” Annie says, looking at him suspiciously.

“Sure...” she says as she hands the baby over. “Hey little ankle biter,” he says to Finn, “What’s with the tears? Come on now, no need to cry, come on.” He bounces him a bit and makes some funny faces. And Finn’s crying changes to laughter, and his laughter is infectious, soon were all laughing. Haymitch starts to toss him in the air, just a few inches so it’s safe, and Finn squealed with laughter. “Hey, where’s Katniss?” Haymitch says now holding Finn.

“She was talking to Paylor on the balcony.” Johanna says.

“But that was five minutes ago.” Beetee counters, “Wouldn’t she have come back by now?” I Jump up and run out of the room to the balcony.

I slam the sliding door open and I see Katniss on the ledge on the other side of the rail. “KATNISS NO!” I shout and start to her.

She turns and looks at me, tears pouring down her face. “D-d-don’t come any closer.” She stutters, “I’ll do it, I’ll jump.” She turns back and looks down at the ground.

“Katniss, don’t do this. We’re going to get married, we’re going to have a family, its going to be alright, now please, don’t do this.” I take a step toward her.

“No! Don’t come any closer! I swear, I’ll jump.” She shifts out more to the edge, as a threat to jump. I can see her shaking terribly, her knuckles white on the rail. Tears start forming in my eyes, she cant do this.

“Katniss… Please, don’t do this. I love you.” The tears spill, the love of my life is about to kill herself.

“Katniss?” a voice says behind me. Haymitch walks around me to her.

“N-no. S-s-stay back.” She says turning slightly to look at him.

“Katniss you don’t want to do this.” Haymitch says calmly, slowly walking toward her.

“I have to, it’s the only way to stop it.” She sobs.

“Stop what Katniss?” Haymitch asks sill surprisingly calm.

“The games; Paylor said that their still going to have them. If I jump they might stop the games.” Haymitch puts his hands up reassuringly.

“No no no, honey, this won’t stop them from doing the games. Killing yourself won’t fix anything. So please, climb back over the rail.” She shakes her head and looks down at the ground twelve stories below. She sobs. “Katniss, if anything your death will just fuel the flames, it will make people want to have the games even more.”