Chapter 17

Chapter 17

~Katniss P.O.V.~

"Are you alright Katniss?" Peeta asks me taking a seat on the bed in our room.

"Yeah. Why would you ask?" I ask with an almost too sweet voice. He raises his eyebrows.

"Because you've been acting weird lately. I don't know if you're just being hormonal or whatever, but it's freaking me out."

"I have? Since when?" I ask thinking back over the past couple weeks. I have been feeling a bit under the weather lately, but I just haven't shown it. At least I didn't think I did.

"For the past we...." He trails off. His eyes flicker down to my stomach and back up to meet my seam gray eyes staring at him. "You don't think.."

"Shit." I say under my breath. "I honestly don't know. What if I am? What do we do then?" He looks to the floor already deep in thought.

"I guess we just ride it out like we do everything else. Even though we didn't want this at our age, we'll just go with it. I think, no I know, whatever happens, we'll get through this together." I just nod and a disturbing thought hits me.

"I actually think that I'm late come to think of it. Oh God. I'm so scared." Peeta gets up off the bed and in two strides he's at my side on the other side of the small room. He pulls me into him, slowly rocks me while stroking my dark locks.

After a few moments of this, I pull away, look into his beautiful dark blue pools like that of an ocean. He wipes the tears off of my face that I didn't even know were there. "Why are you crying?" He asks in a voice just above a whisper.

"I don't know. I guess it's just nerves. Do you want to go down and get some food?" I ask wanting to get out of here. He smiles and shakes his head.

"Yeah. I guess. You and your food." That makes us both laugh.

After we change, we go down to the dining car and as soon as we walk through the door we are attacked with people coming up to us to take pictures, and sign things.

"Why do they do this?" I ask, whispering into Peeta's ear.

"I have no idea. Have fun while it lasts." I laugh. It takes us 20 minutes for the small crowd to clear out and sit down and for us to get a table. I have a scowl on my face until I get a pinch in the arm. I get up and turn around, ready to drop the person who did that when I see my mom.

My jaw about drops to the floor. "Mom? What are you doing here?"

"I was coming to see you. They were heading to the capitol and I wanted to see you before you left only to find out that you're on your way home." She says giving me a hug which I return. "Are you feeling alright Katniss? You look a little pale."

"Yeah mom. I'm fine. I'm just in shock." I say still not believing that she's here.

"Well. How have you been?" She asks looking me over.

"I've been alright."

She just nods. "How are the wedding plans coming?" My eyes shift to the floor. "You haven't started have you?" she asks. I just shake my head. "Don't you think you should start?"

"I don't know where to start." I say quietly. I look up at my mom and she has a bemused expression upon her face.

"I can help you with that." she says. "After we get back to District 12."

I nod. "Fair enough."

"Well. Going to let you two enjoy yourselves. I'm going to go lay down. I'll talk to you later Katniss." My mom says before exiting through the doors.

After I see her leave I finally sit back down at the table with a big huff. I look up to see Peeta trying not to laugh.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing. You're just so awkward around your own mother."

"Well. Can you blame me?"

"Yeah. I guess that's true."

~Later in the V.I.P. Section of the train ~

Peeta and I have been sitting in the screening area and VIP section of the train for a couple of hours listening, no, trying to listen to our show.

We can barely hear it because of Effie going on about an interview with us when we get back to 12 and so on. I'm getting more and more agitated by the minute. She finally asks where Haymitch went and decides to go look for him. Finally. Some peace.

I see something out of the corner of my eye. I eventually get a very strong sniff of alcohol and I know that Haymitch is the something.

He peaks his head around the corner of the couch that he's hiding behind. "Is she gone yet?"

"Yes Haymitch. She's gone." Peeta says with a smile on his face.

Haymitch quickly gets up and flops down on the couch shirtless and with two bottle of liquor. Peeta and I bust out laughing.

"What are you two laughing at?"

"You obviously. You only did this to yourself. So it's not my fault that you have to hide from Effie since you can't keep it in your pants." I say glaring at him.

"You're the one who told me to do it!" he throws back at my face.

"I didn't expect you to actually do it! God you're stupid Haymitch." I say getting up and standing in front of him. He gets up as a reply and we stand mere inches from each other. My hands are already in fists, ready to deck him.

"I'm the stupid one. You might want to take a look at yourself missy!"

I'm about to punch him when I feel two arms around my waist carrying my out of the room and into my bedroom.

Peeta sets me on the bed. "You both need to calm down. So I'm going to keep you in here, and Haymitch is going to stay out there. Okay!?" I just nod and he walks out of the room, slamming the door behind him which makes me jump.

I lay down on the bed. A few hot tears threaten to fall but I harshly wipe them out of my eyes. I just close my eyes and end up falling asleep with a scowl on my face.

AN: Hey guys! Only a few more chapters left :( don't be sad though. There is a big surprise at the end for all of you! I love you all, don't be afraid to message me with any questions. Love you all. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. Shall talk to amazing people later! And before I forget. Is it just me or do you all think Katniss is pregnant? Anyway. Happy April fools day everyone!