XII | The Impossible [Part Three]

Odell

Today was game day. We were playing against the Vikings. Kickoff was starting in thirty minutes and we all were standing around in the locker room, waiting to go out.

YN sat in the corner in her football uniform with her head down. I wanted to go over and ask her what was wrong but nah, fuck her. She'll be alright.

"Odell, I see you looking at her. You concerned. Go and ask her what's up." Victor said, patting me on my back. I looked at him and shook my head.

"Nah, I'm fine." I declined, even though I wanted to go see what was her problem.

"You're being stubborn right now Odell. Just go ask her. What's the worse she could do?"

"I mean, she could curse me out and possibly even kick my ass." I said. Victor kissed his teeth and shoved me to YN.

I sighed and kneeled down to her level, "Aye, are you okay?" I questioned.

She looked up at me with bloodshot eyes. I immediately felt sorry for her. She wiped her tears and shook her head, "No. I'm so nervous. My hands are all sweaty and clammy. I can't even catch my breath." She began to hyperventilate.

"YN...You have to calm down. I know exactly how you feel. That's how I was when I was about to play my first game. It was nerve wrecking. But once I got out there, all my nervousness went away. My adrenaline was rushing and I was ready to play. Don't let this anxiety get to you ma. You're a great wide receiver, and I believe you're going to do great out there." I said, giving her a lot of courage.

She looked at me with a smile. This was the first time she has ever smiled at me, and no lie, she has a pretty smile. Her teeth were straight and pearly white.

"Did you just admit that I was a great wide receiver?" She raised an eyebrow and nudged me.

I exhaled, "You always know how to ruin the mood right?"

She giggled, "Nah I'm kidding. But thank you for those encouraging words Odell. I really appreciate it." She thanked.

I stood up and extended my hand out to her. When she grabbed it, I helped her up and brung her in for a long hug.

The guys came over and started cheering.

"It's about time they getting along!"

It was three minutes into the game and it was our ball. Eli hiked and threw the ball to YN. YN tried to catch the ball but it slipped from her hands. Everyone from the sidelines sighed.

YN called for a timeout before jogging off the field. The water boy came over and gave her a sip of water.

"YLN, what's going on?" Coach asked her. She took of her helmet and wiped her face.

"I-I don't know. I'm just really nervous." She stuttered. I got up and placed my hand on her shoulder.

"What did I tell you? Don't let this anxiety get to you YN."

"It's hard! I can't help it!"

"Breathe in." I instructed to her. She followed, and began to inhale slowly.

"Breathe out." I said. She exhaled slowly and did the exercises again until she started to feel a bit better.

"You good now?" I asked. She nodded her head before placing her helmet back on. She strapped up and headed back to the field.

Everyone got back in their position and waited until Eli threw the ball. YN caught it, causing a smile to appear on my face. As she was running for twenty yard line, one of the Vikings players tackled her hard to the ground.

My eyes widen when she started clutching her stomach.

"Oh no." Coach covered his eyes in horror.

"Dammit YN, get up." I mumbled, tapping my foot against the ground.

After laying there for another minute, I noticed she slowly started to get up, causing everyone to hoot and holler.

She shook it off and started a little further back from the twenty yard line. Everyone got in position once again, waiting for Eli to throw the ball. He threw the ball to YN and she caught it right at the touchdown line.

She did that infamous cocky smirk before handing the ball to the referee.

As she walked off the field, she took off her helmet and smiled. Coach gave her a high five and told her to sit down. As she went to sit down, I got up to get ready to play out on the field. When she walked past me, I smacked her ass.

Shocked, she jumped and looked back at me with her eyes wide.

I winked with a devious smirk, "Nice play." I congratulated before running out on the field.

"You guys did an awesome job out there! Great game!" Coach said to us in the locker room. We all cheered in celebration.

Moments passed and coach left the locker room. I looked to my left to see YN surrounded by a bunch of reporters.

As she was talking about her first game, she looked at me and flashed a small smile. I smiled back at her and turned around, going back to my locker.

After finishing your interviews, you were finally able to take a shower, change and get ready to go. You were on your way out of the locker room, when Odell stopped you.

"Hey YN, I was wondering if you were going anything after you leave here?" He asked. You folded your arms and stared at him.

"Nah, I was going to go home. Why?"

"Because, I was thinking maybe we have a celebratory drink at my place." He said. You raised both of your brows.

"Hm? I don't know." You said in an iffy tone. Odell sighed.

"C'mon YN. Just a drink, that's it." You thought about it for a little while longer before rolling your eyes.

"Fine. What's your address?" You questioned, taking out your phone. He took your phone out of your hand and went to your notes, typing in his address. When he finished, he handed it back to you with an innocent smile.

"Sorry for snatching it out your hand like that." He apologized and chuckled, "But yeah. That's it."

"So, what time do you want me to come over and what do I have to wear?"

"Uh, come around eight and casual clothes are fine." He answered. You checked the time on your phone. It was currently five thirty-two.

"Alright. Guess I'll see you later." You picked up your duffel bag and threw it over your shoulder. You waved to Odell as your left the locker room.

Self promotion: Go check out my other OBJ book "Saved." K? K. Thanks.