CHAPTER 49: DEMON IN DISGUISE (PART 1)

Chapter 49: Demon in Disguise
(Part 1)

A/N: Credits to Abegail Aquino for the story and plot- winner of the first DF short story writing.

It's rude to yawn at class hours but I can't help it. Kanina pa lumuluha ang mga mata ko dahil sa ginagawa ko every time the teacher isn't looking. It's literature class at kanina pa ipinapaliwanag ng guro ang Sonnet 116 ni William Shakespeare. Nothing's retaining in my head except the poet's name because I'm thinking about bed, pillows and sheets. Ah! I want a peaceful slumber.

I yawned again but this time I wasn't able to stop the sound of yawning from coming out of my mouth. Naramdaman ko na lamang ang mahinang pagsiko ni Jeremy sa akin. He flashed a worried expression as he nudged me.

"What?!", I asked irritatedly when he nudged me for the second time.

"Bestie, tingin sa harap", he whispered. Kahit nagtataka ay tumingin pa rin ako sa harap at saka ko lamang napansin na nakatayo na pala si Ma'am Mendez sa harapan ko. I was surprised for a while and even more surprised when I noticed all eyes were on me. Saka lamang nagising ang diwa ko.

"Care to share why my class seems so boring to you Miss Sison?", she asked with her arms on her waist. One thing about her, she's kind and friendly but not in class. Kumbaga what you get is what you deserve.

"No Ma'am, I don't find it bo-"

"If I counted it right, that's your 14th yawn for the last one and a half hour", wika niya. I couldn't say that she's overstating it. In fact it's more than that to the point I lost count.

"I-I'm sorry Ma'am", wika ko. God! Ang sama kong estudyante! And then I yawned again- uh.

I heard my classmates chuckled samantalang mas lalo namang nainis si Maam. I heard her sigh at mas napayuko naman ako! Lupaaaa, kainin mo akoooooo!

"Miss Sison, explain the first 4 lines of the lyric poem and give your own reflection!" Maam Mendez went back in front at naupo sa kanyang pwesto. She sat there and waited for me to answer. Kinakabahang tumayo naman ako mula sa pagkakaupo. Now I regretted yawning and not listening in class!

I began reading the lyric poem.
"Let me not to the marriage of true minds, Admit impediments. Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds Or bends with the remover to remove. I guess it means that marriage of true minds shouldn't be prevented by the obstacles by any cause or just impediment why these persons should not be together. It isn't love if it changes with regards to other changes occur or withdraw when the object of its love leaves." I explained it as how I understood it.

The class was silent as they listen to me. I have always loved Shakespeare and his works. I smiled bitterly as I remember some people who never withdraw their love.

Habang nagsasalita ay may dalawang tao na tumatakbo sa isip. They are the first ones who come into my mind whenever I hear the word love. First is Bernard Sison. His first actions maybe so selfish, stealing someone's wife just to fill the hole that his previous wife left but that love grows into something extraordinary. It became selfless when he let Mom and I go. It's selfless because he let his daughter be someone's daughter for her safety.

Second is Cooler Vander. I can't understand why he was able to betray the mafia just for me. He really has an eye for me, he admitted it yet he said that he's not pursuing me. But his love didn't change even if he knows that I like someone. I wonder if I was even worth it.

I felt Jeremy tugged my blouse kaya napalingon ako sa kanya.

"Upo ka na daw sabi ni Maam. Tsaka excellent daw", he said with a grin. My classmates were smiling at me kaya bigla na lamang akong napaupo. Gray put a handkerchief in front of me kaya nagtatakang napatingin ako sa kanya.