Derrick

Derrick's POV

My mom's bright green minivan pulled into the school yard, already making my family different from the others at Goode High School. She dropped me off and blew me a kiss, making the slut girls behind me giggle. I sighed nand walked toward the school. The hallways were bustling with kids hanging out with their selected social group waiting for the bell to ring. I found a sign saying Main Office and headed in that direction to get my schedule for the new school.

I walked in the glass doors and the front desk woman gave me a puzzled look, clearly never seeing me before.

"Derrick Nicholson, I'm new here and I need my schedule and such," I said tired of introducing myself to the thousands of new schools. You see, I'm not a bad kid really, I just happen to get kicked out and blamed for everything troublesome at the school. I would tell you my secret, but I'm kind of sworn to secrecy.

Anyways, right as I was handed my schedule and locker combination, the bell rang and I ran to find, classroom 31; Mrs. Dodds. I sighed as I slid into my seat right as the second bell rang.

"Hello class. I see we have a new student today. Why don't you introduce yourself Mr. Nicholson," Mrs. Dodds said. A cold shiver went down my spine.

"Um, I'm Derrick, I am 16 years old, and I have dyslexia and ADHD," I introduced trying to hide my fear of Mrs. Dodds.

"Very nice introduction. Now head to your seat honey," she said giving me the chills again. Mrs. Dodds began to teach the lesson. I stared out the windows ignoring the lesson.

"Derrick, would you like to answer the next question?" Mrs. Dodds's shrilling voice asked. I looked at the board. How do you find the prepositional phrase in, Marcus always drank lots of milk? I froze. All I saw was, Hom do you find hte perpostionla prahse in, Marcus lawyas krnad lots of likm. I gave a small shrug. I heard snickers from the group and saw Mrs. Dodds glare. The lesson continued until the bell rang and everybody jumped out of their seats and ran to the door. I was lucky I didn't get stopped by Mrs. Dodds.

The classes went by slowly until lunch. I sat alone until a smart looking girl came over. She was pretty cute. She had brown hair and green eyes.

"Hi, I'm Julia. I saw you were new and wanted to introduce myself along with telling you what you need to know about Goode," Julia said a little too perky for my liking, but I ignored it. I gave a small wave. "So, first off, you need to know the social groups," she said. "Over there are the nerds," she pointed to a small table of kids with glasses playing with a robot that was gliding over the table. "There are the jocks, and the band geeks, and the animal clubs, and those are the weirdo slut girls, and those," she said with a mischievous smile, "are the, how do I say this, different kids."

I looked over at them. None of them looked like anyone else in the school. They were all strong and seemed almost like they were perfect, and they knew it. There was a guy with black hair and green eyes with a perfect tan and a girl with long golden locks and hard stony grey eyes with the same tan as the other kid. They were snuggled up together like to peas in a pod. There was another couple; a girl with choppy brown hair, a deep tan, and kaleidoscope eyes, next to a kid with blonde hair, fair skin, and icy eyes. There was one more couple, and four individuals. The girl of the couple had frizzy dark hair, brown skin, and golden colored eyes. The guy was some kind of an Asian mix, black hair, and almost black eyes. The one individual had black spikey hair and icy blue eyes. Her skin was pale, but still had color, unlike the other kid. He had black hair, and black eyes with olive skin. There was another kid who couldn't stop moving. He had curly brown hair, brown energetic eyes, and light brown-ish skin. The last individual seemed like he could be in the nerd club. He had major acne, red-brown hair, and caramel-ish eyes. He also walked with a limp as if crippled. They seemed to be my kind of kids. Something else about them all, saw that they all carried a weapon at their side, like I did. Maybe they were... no, couldn't be.

As lunch came to an end, I approached the group right as a hell hound burst through the doors. The group jumped to their feet and the mortals ran for the exits. They drew their weapons, and I drew mine. We ran for the hound, with the first couple at the lead. They worked so well with each other, and I was in shock as the rest of them subsided, letting the one couple easily beat the hell hound.

"Hey," said the kid with the black hair and green eyes.

"Hi, I'm Derrick," I answered nervously. These kids radiated a kind of power that I could only imagine. I wanted to crumble to my knees at their feet, but I didn't.

"Oh yeah, the new kid," said the blonde haired girl. "Well, welcome to Goode. I'm Annabeth. What class do you have next?" I showed her my schedule. "Ah, Mr. Blowfis, that's Percy's stepdad," she said pointing to the kid leaning on her shoulder. I gave a small nod. They grabbed my shoulder, and led me off to the classroom. That was a pretty good way to spend the first day of high school at Goode High School.