Margaret

Margaret's POV

I was about to head into the girl's locker room to change for gym when I walked into a beautiful girl who was reading a book. Now this girl went by the name of Annabeth. Not Annie, not Beth, Annabeth. She had blonde curls that were pulled up into a high pony tail, and intense grey eyes that gave me the chills. She had a tan, and was clearly muscular, but hid it with her bushy grey sweater. She looked up from her book for a moment and studied me, not bothering to say sorry... rude.

Anyways, I walked into the locker room and Annabeth followed close behind. I vaguely remembered her from PE, but that was it. She put on her black athletic shorts and green school tee shirt. I was dressed the same, along with everybody else who was in our class. The whole time Annabeth was changing, she was reading her book which I found strange.

When we entered class, the guys swooned around Annabeth admiring her beauty and muscles. She scoffed ignoring the guys and went to stand by the edge of the gym as if she was hiding from the gym teacher, Mr. Cray.

Mr. Cray was a big guy who was completely bald. He was strict, and was set on having the best athletics in the US. I sighed as Mr. Cray began to explain the obstacle course that was set up before them. The entire group, besides Annabeth, had completed the course in under twenty minutes, putting them as the best group that year. While the class took turns demolishing the course, along with school records, I stood examining Annabeth.

Finally, it was my turn to race. I finished the course in twenty-one minutes flat. Next was Annabeth. The last time she had done the course, she had done it in twenty-five minutes, the slowest in the class. When she did the course this year, she finished in twenty-four minutes and twelve seconds. She came in last.

Suddenly, the gym door opened revealing a good-looking guy. The girls drooled over him, except for Annabeth and I, and the boys glanced warily as if thinking he might steal their popularity. The kid had black hair, green eyes, and a tan like Annabeth's.

"Ah, you must be Percy Jackson. The new kid," Mr. Cray said.

"The kid chuckled and nodded heading to the starting line of the course without further introduction. The coach looked a little confused, but shrugged, happy he had a student who gladly did a hard course.

"Coach," Percy said before he began. "I would like to race someone if that is okay." The coach gave a bewildered look, then nodded to Percy who gladly picked Annabeth.

"Bah! Kid you say you want to race, but racing the slowest kid ain't doing you any favors," Coach Cray said. Percy shrugged and waited for the whistle to blow, Coach sighed and blew the whistle hanging around his neck. And the two of them were off at blazing speeds. They easily raced through the obstacles and I was shocked to see Annabeth in front of Percy. When they finished the course, they headed to the stopwatch. 8 minutes and forty-six seconds. A new record set by the slowest kid in school. From that day on, I decided that Annabeth was a lot more than she seemed.

Disclaimer: I do not own Percy Jackson. All property belongs to Rick Riordan.