Chapter 25

(Y/n)'s POV

We cautiously went inside. The furniture was decaying and there was dust everywhere. I noticed footprints on the dusty floor but it was gone a second later. I must be imagining things.

"Come on, (Y/n)," Aido said.

We explored the first floor (it was a two-storey house). I went into someone's room but the door suddenly locked by itself.

"(Y/n)!" Zero called out.
"I'm fine, I'll get out somehow." He banged on the door.
"Don't worry, go on ahead."
"I can't leave you by yourself."
"I'll be fine. It's not like this house is actually haunted."
"(Y/n)..."

I turned around, faced my back towards the door and screamed. In the mirror, there were two headless children with blood...and stuff, it was gruesome. I blinked and it was gone.

"(Y/n), did something happen?" Aido asked worriedly.
"N-no, thought I saw something."

I tried to open the door but it wouldn't budge. Then, I felt something touch my shoulder but it was gone when I turned around. Finally, the door opened.

"(Y/n), were you alright?!" Zero and Aido asked at the same time.
"Y-yeah..."
"We should get going," Zero said. We nodded in agreement. But we couldn't find the front door.
"Damn this haunted house!" Zero yelled, annoyed.

We went upstairs and tried to look for more clues as to what was happening. *thump thump thump* I immediately held onto Zero's hand.

"Did you guys hear that?"

They both nodded. It was coming from the room at the far end. We slowly made our way there. Aido grabbed the doorknob and turned. When he opened the door, he immediately shut it straight after.

On the other side...were the parents, sitting on some armchairs with a cup of tea/coffee. They had their mouths slit from ear to ear and were waving at us. I was shaking.

"Hey (Y/n), we're gonna get out of here," Zero comforted me.
"What if...we don't?" Tears filled my eyes.
"We will, we'll make it back alive," Aido exclaimed.
"I hope we do."

The door - that Aido had opened - creaked and opened by itself. Through the little gap, we could see the heads of the children lined up against each other.

"We have visitors," the boy exclaimed.
"Please, do come in," the girl added. We just stood there, unable to move.
"Don't they understand what we're saying?" the boy asked.
"I'm sure they do," the girl replied.

We ran off as fast as we could. Zero motioned for us to go into a random room. We followed him inside and shut the door. We sighed in relief.

"Oh, hello again. I believe you met our precious children," the father said. My mouth opened and closed but no words came out.
"Would you like some tea or coffee?" the mother asked. We immediately shook our heads and opened the door then took off.
"Please...I want to go..."
"Let's look for an unlocked window," Aido suggested. We nodded. We went searching for windows that weren't too small or locked but we weren't successful.
"Damn it..."
"How about trying to break through the wall?"
"Well, it's better to try than not do anything," Zero replied.

I held out my hand and tried to force the wall to break but it didn't seem to work. Aido tried to use ice to break it but it was all futile. This place was cursed. I looked down. Zero took my hand.

"Do any of you remember where the front door was?"
"It should be right there from what I remember," Aido replied.
"That's strange, it seems like the house is changing on its own." I didn't realise it but I was walking away from the others.
"Hey guys-"

They weren't with me. Where were they? Or more rather...where was I? I went into a room but some chains grabbed me and tied me to a chair in the middle of the room.

"Help-" They stuffed a cloth in my mouth.
"Hello, we meet again."

I looked in fear at the whole family. They had all sorts of tools and weapons ready. *gulp* What were they going to do?

"Now now, it won't hurt too much. We have been starving for a few months, just feed us." I quickly shook my head. They just smiled and came towards me.
"(Y/n)!" Zero and Aido came running in. They pulled the chains off me. I took the disgusting cloth out of my mouth.
"We found the door, come on!" Zero said. They dragged me outside, towards the door. We were finally back. I slumped down on the lawn.
"I've made up my mind to never mention any haunted houses again."
"Hey (Y/n), I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought us to a real haunted house. I should've..."
"Aido, it's fine. At least we made it out alive, right?" Zero pulled me up.
"Let's go back." We nodded in agreement. When we arrive, Subaru immediately ran up to me.
"You guys have been gone for two days! Is everything alright?" he asked worriedly.
"Two days?! Wasn't it only a few hours?" He shook his head.
"Huh? But I swear it..."
"That might be a new feature in going to haunted houses," Aido suggested. I laughed a little.
"Yeah right *sarcasm*. Maybe it's because it's paranormal activity."
"Anyway, let's just go inside," Subaru said. We followed him to the Night Dorms.
"Aren't you gonna go back to the Day Dorms?"
"I'll stay with you for now and besides, I want to meet your vampire friends," Subaru replied. I smiled.
"Hopefully they'll like you, Aido sure does." He just grinned.
"Miss (Y/n)?! Aido?!" Ruka asked, surprised.
"What happened to you guys?" Cain asked.
"We were trapped inside a haunted house." Cain and Ruka just looked at us with raised eyebrows.
"*sigh* I don't expect you to believe me but please keep in mind that I wouldn't lie to you about these things. Anyway, there's someone that wants to meet you." I pushed Subaru forward.
"Hey, I'm Subaru."
"Well, have fun. I'm going to my room." Zero followed me while the others stayed to keep Subaru company.