Twas the Mission Before Christmas

AN: I am so sorry this is so late and after Christmas too!

I had a feeling that this Christmas was going to be the worse and guess what? It was. You know how I have a workaholic for a father? Well, he left me to go away on business…again! And on Christmas Eve too! So I spent most of my morning taking down decorations and separating the Christmas gifts. I figured dad would want to open them when he came back…that is if he ever decides to come back.

The only thing I really knew how do when I was alone was sulk. The only family that I have left is my dad and even he doesn’t want to stick around. I’ve tried countless times to get into the holiday spirit by putting up all the decorations, made sugar cookies and sung a crap load of Christmas music along with the radio. But it never seems to be enough. I wonder what the Davenport’s are up to?

Just then my phone went off and I smiled when Chase’s face appeared on the screen “Hey you,” I flirted “Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas baby,” He flirted back and my smile grew “So why is your house not covered in Christmas lights like the rest of your block?”

“How did you know that? You live like five blocks away.”

Chase grunted “Oh, well, because some idiot, AKA Adam Davenport, decided to get into the Christmas spirit by putting up a huge assortment of Christmas lights on the house,”

“And that’s a bad thing because?”

Another grunt was heard from my boyfriend “Because I’m part of the display. I’m covered in Christmas lights and tinsel. And my nose is really starting to itch.” He paused “So are you going to tell me why your house is dark or am I just going to have to guess random possibilities?”

I sighed “There really isn’t a point to celebrate when you’re all alone on Christmas Eve.”

“Wait, you’re by yourself for the holidays? Where is your dad?”

“Away on business…again,” I sighed “He takes his job more seriously than his only daughter.”

“When did he leave?” It must have been my imagination but Chase sounded angry.

“A few days ago,” was my reply and Chase grunted again.

“Why didn’t you say anything? You could have come over and helped us decorating,”

“I didn’t want to be rude and interrupt your first Christmas together as a family,” I told him while placing the frosted sugar cookies into the Tupperware and snapped the lid shut.

“Baby, you forget that you’re part of our family. You spend most of your time with us that we automatically include you in everything. We’re always thinking of you. Why don’t you come over tonight and sleepover?”

“Are you sure? I don’t want to impose.”

“Katie, I demand you get your pretty little self over to my house as soon as possible. I don’t want you to be alone on Christmas.”

“Fine,” I sighed before walked over to the stack of Christmas presents labeled for the Davenport’s “I’ll be over soon.” When I hung up, I gathered a clean set of pajamas, my toothbrush, a clean set of clothes and some other necessities before zipping up my duffel and my purse. I then gathered another bag and placed all the gifts into it while I carried the tub of cookies. Someone had to eat them and I knew Adam wouldn’t hesitate to grab one or maybe all of them. I really didn’t care if he did.

The walk was quiet but it didn’t really bother me. I smiled as I looked around at all the lights and thought about how great this holiday was. This would be Chase and I am first Christmas as a couple. I really hope he likes what I got him.