035

Week One

   "Morning, slu—" Amylee's taunts were interrupted.

   "I think you should leave," Bryana said with a dangerous grin. When Amylee looked ready to scoff and return to terrorising Ashton, the model continued. "Nice to meet you," she started, holding out a hand to shake. "I'm Bryana Holly." If the famous name wasn't enough to get rid of the bully, Bry's chocolatey eyes scanned the hallways behind her. "And I think that's the principal."

   With that, the leggy girl clicked away on heels, arm linked with Ashton's. "Don't fight all my battles?" the brunette asked as they walked; he'd nearly completely escape his shyness, his social anxiety. Whilst Amylee was one person he couldn't face, Ash didn't want Bryana to take the place Calum, Michael and Luke had left, shielding him from the rest of the world.

   "Okay, princess," Bryana agreed, slinging a thin arm around Ashton's neck. "You know that means you have to fight the battle that is your trig test."

"Can I take it back?" Ashton joked, giggling softly and wrapping a hand around his friend's slim waist. The shorter of the two leaned comfortably on his shoulder, her loose curls cascading over Ashton's shoulders.

"Shut up," Bryana laughed. "You're going to ace it, Ashy. And I'll be right behind you, as an observer of British schooling. It's weird how easily your school just let me hang out with you, I don't even go here. Models get fancy tutors who turns their one syllable name into four syllables." Ashton giggled, adjusting his hand to tangle his long fingers with Bryana's smaller ones.

Week Two

Rena jogged through the halls of QCT, skidding across the floors on combat boots, before reaching her destination. The dreadlocked teenager wrapped her arms around Ashton's stomach—that no longer sunk in as badly—hugging tightly. "Caleb's a good friend, bad boyfriend. S'not your fault, and I'm sorry for ditching you. Amylee was horrible, but at least the boys got her expelled, right? I'm still really sorry, though."

"The boys'?" Ashton questioned in surprise, whilst Bryana held his hand, tracing hearts across the tan skin.

"Cal, Luke, and Mike." Before Ash could ask anymore questions about his sorely missed friends, Rena was moving onto the next subject. "Want to eat lunch with us? Nia's been eating with Cal and Miranda, but we can drag them away, if you still don't want to—" Ashton nodded with a kind smile.

Bryana stood on her toes to kiss his cheek suddenly. "They still love you, cutie. So keep that smile," she said, grinning brightly and tracing Ashton's soft pink lips with the pads of her fingers. "Pretty," she whispered. Ashton blushed a carnation pink.

Final Week

"Hi," Bryana murmured flirtatiously, circling Ashton's waist with her arms. His stomach was flat, and the brunette was slowly starting to get back to working out.

"Hey," Ashton responded, though his tone was more giggly than flirty. He turned to face his girlfriend, connecting their hands and leaning down for a quick kiss. "Shouldn't you be studying for the final exams?"

Bryana shrugged. "I have a job, I don't really need to graduate, do I?" She bent upwards for another kiss, only to have Ashton dodge her. The blonde sighed dramatically, turning to lean comfortably on the younger lad's chest. She tugged a thick, light pink binder from the backpack she'd dropped at her feet, flipping it open. "Class starts in half an hour, and I'll study for twenty," Bryana decided, pecking Ashton's cheek before facing her notes.

"You two are sickening," Rena announced, sliding down the thick stone railing of QCT's front steps. She ran a hand through her newly changed tresses, the short pink hair flowing between her fingers smoothly.

   "You're just jealous," Casey retorted, sliding down the railing to join her. He smoothed Ashton's hair absentmindedly, where a stray curl stuck out. The younger brunette turned slightly, smiling sweetly at the shorter lad.

   "Like you should talk, Sir Single," Rena responded. With that friendly spat out of the way, the group moved on to a new topic, bantering easily.

Graduation Day

   Hats were thrown into the air, swirling against the force of the gravity, before tumbling to the ground. The seniors cheered loudly. It was a happy mix of exhilaration from passing their final exams, the joy of finally escaping the hell that was school. It was a whoop from the popular kids who didn't yet realise they were losing their ruling place in a hierarchy, and the joy of people who were excited for their future.

   Rena, Casey, Miranda and Nia were leaning on one another and shouting, alongside Calum, Michael, and Luke. Bryana and Ashton sat in a different section with the families of the graduates, where they'd been chatting with their mates' parents.

   The loose robe-clad teenagers cheered for a few more minutes, before they started filtering out slowly. Ashton and Bry talked whilst waiting, until a finger tapped the younger boy's shoulder. He turned, only to be met with his three ex-friends. "Hey baby," Michael greeted. "Can we talk to you?"

   Ashton bit his light pink lip unsurely, but the emptiness he'd felt without the three boys had him nodding. Bryana squeezed his hand reassuringly, before Ashton disconnected their clasped fingers and followed the three graduates. Luke walked beside him, allowing their shoulders to brush lightly. When Ash didn't jump away or even flinch, the blonde smiled, feeling hope bloom in his chest.

   Maybe this really could work, maybe the boys could have their best friend back. Maybe.

"Come on a trip with us," Calum said, once the four boys were alone. "To Boston."

   "What?" Ashton asked, crinkling his nose in an adorable display of confusion.

   "We invited Casey, Miranda, Nia and Rena," Luke continued. "Bryana can come too. We're really sorry, baby, please let us make it up to you. We have someone there paying for first class flights, a hotel, you just have to show up. Please, trust us?" He held out a tentative hand for Ash to hold, his blue eyes glimmering hopefully.

   Ashton linked their fingers. "Okay," he whispered softly, smiling sweetly. Calum breathed in relief, and reached out carefully as a request to hug the younger boy. Ashton was tense and bit his lip nervously, but nodded slightly, gently wrapping his thin arms around Calum's waist. Michael and Luke joined them, and for a few moments, they could pretend they had gone back in time. That illusion didn't last long. Everything about the group dynamic had changed. Ashton stood more confidently, and the other three weren't fighting over him. They were equals.

   That, and after a few short seconds Ashton pulled away. He smiled slightly, and the group turned to rejoin Bryana. "Want to come on a trip to Boston?" Ashton offered.

The blonde girl shrugged. "Sure."

a/n shameless promo: check out ballerina boy, it's a 5sos ot4 but there's no fighting (i swear i'll start publishing soon, life's been hectic)