viii

The Joker had found an empty hospital, which was where they were staying now. Nyx was constantly on edge, knowing it wouldn't be long before Amanda Waller found them again. Or even worse, Bruce found them. She knew that if he came to fight them, she wouldn't be able to. The Joker had Nyx constantly training, and would hit her if she refused. Nyx winced as she touched the bruises on her face; she knew that would heal in a matter of minutes, but it didn't stop them hurting. "Sweetheart!" The voice sent shivers down her spine. "Yes, honey?" She called back, walking out to the main floor. "Show me your powers, just one more time?" He asked, wrapping his arms around the girl. "Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty..." "Please." She whispered, sticking her hand up in the air, summoning water around them. She swirled the water around them, creating a sphere of water around them. "Good girl." He whispered in her ear, as she dispersed the water. "Don't worry, honey. We're prepared from anything." She looked him in the eyes. "Have I told you how much I love your eyes?" She whispered, her breath fanning his face softly. The Joker rolled his head back, exposing his neck, laughing silently. Nyx joined him in his laugh, and soon, they're laughs tied together, and they couldn't tell who was more insane.

◊◊◊

"It's been three days. Does anyone have any idea where we are?" Digger asked, annoyed. The group was running low on water and food, and Rick wasn't sure how long they could survive. Floyd looked up. "Hey, hey, guys look at this!" He pointed ahead of them. "You Are Entering Gotham." The sign he was pointing at read. The group celebrated outside of the sign not caring what they must have looked like to the people driving by. Soon after arriving in Gotham, the prisoners were back in their cells, resting up and Rick was reporting back to Amanda Waller. Needless to say, Amanda was furious. One of the helicopters was missing and the entire group had been taken down by one of the most powerful metahumans Amanda had ever seen. She had been trying to track down Nyx and the Joker, but they were avoiding everything very well. Amanda needed Nyx back under her control; otherwise, Taskforce X was out the window.

◊◊◊

Nyx and the Joker left the hospital soon after they arrived. The Joker seemed paranoid, constantly moving them around. Currently, they were staying at an abandoned factory. It gave Nyx the creeps, all the broken machinery, creaking and groaning. The Joker had increased the training that Nyx went through, even though she didn't need it. He had also become more violent, turning on Nyx unexpectedly. Her siblings constantly told her to get out, before it was too late and he killed her. She always told them that if she left, he would find her again, and would definitely kill her. So, she stayed and waited, waiting for the squad to come back for her.