xviii

Nyx looked around at the house she used to live in, sadly. She hoped that Bruce wouldn't be bitter from their last exchange. She stood behind Rick and June as they knocked on the door, apparently June had called ahead of them going there. Nyx was surprised when Bruce opened the door; usually Alfred did those mundane tasks. "Hello Rick, June." He shook their hands in turn, grim faced. Inviting them in, Nyx realised that he hadn't seen her yet. "Hey, B," She smiled, hugging him. As she pulled away, she saw that he was gaping at her. "You're alive?" Bruce whispered, looking at her up and down. "Well, no. Technically I'm dead, no heartbeat and I don't breath." She rambled on, trying to make conversation. "Yes, yes." He muttered, "Come in, come in." Bruce ushered her inside, shutting the door behind her. Nyx took in her surroundings, not much had changed since the last time she had been there, 3 years ago. "Where's Alfred?" She asked about the noticeable missing butler. "He left." Bruce sighed, before turning to his other guests. "Do you want anything to drink?" They both declined, before leaving the room to explore at Bruce's suggestion. "Finally quit the circus?" Bruce asked angrily, his back to Nyx. "Look, I know you're mad but-" She started but he cut her off. "Did your clown boyfriend run out of jokes?" Bruce chuckled humourlessly. Nyx was fed up with his taunts, and could smell the distinct smell of alcohol on his breath.

 Nyx was fed up with his taunts, and could smell the distinct smell of alcohol on his breath

She stood abruptly, hands clenched by her sides, her chair clattering to the floor. "He's not my boyfriend, he's my husband." She seethed at him but quickly calming when she heard June's gasp. The noise brought June and Rick back to the main room, causing them to hear Nyx's anger filled confession. "We should go," Rick said as June gently pulled Nyx along, saying a quick goodbye to Bruce. As soon as Nyx got back into the car, she started crying, June enveloping her in a hug.

"Can a heart break when it's stopped beating?" She asked rhetorically, angry at the world for her heartbreak

"Can a heart break when it's stopped beating?" She asked rhetorically, angry at the world for her heartbreak. Nyx looked down at her left hand, examining the ring there. It was a simple gold ring, but she thought it expressed the Joker's love for her well. 

"You know, he didn't steal this for me

"You know, he didn't steal this for me." June looked up at the broken girls whisper. "He had left for the day, without Harley and me, and didn't return until it was dark." Nyx had taken the ring off, playing with it in her hands. "He proposed after he tattooed this on me." She lifted her shirt, showing June her scars. "And I said yes, despite my sibling's saying no." Nyx smiled sadly, "We got married while we were on the run. I stole a dress, he stole a tux and together we held the priest at gun point as he married us. I couldn't imagine anything better." She smiled off into the distance as she reminisced her wedding. June watched the half mad woman, wondering how someone so kind could marry such a villain.

Nyx didn't talk the rest of the day; she just retreated inside of her room, wishing to be left to her thoughts. Little did June and Rick know that she was planning something. When she was talking with Bruce, Nyx had searched his mind for where the Joker had been buried. Finding the location was at Arkham Asylum, she made a plan to use her power of healing to reanimate the Joker, her love.