xii

Back in Belle Reve, the other members of Taskforce X were going about their day; Deadshot was with his daughter, Captain Boomerang was trying to negotiate with his guards, Killer Croc was watching TV, and Harley was reading. None of them expected the pain that was about to come. It was at the exact same time that the bullet entered Nyx's skull that they each fell to the ground, screaming. They were all wheeled to the prison hospital, doctors hovering over them, trying to see what was wrong with them.

◊◊◊

Enchantress let out a scream as she watched her sister fall; Rick had run over to grab her before she hit the ground. Wiping away her tears, she walked over to Rick, nearly next to him as he cried. "It's okay; we just have to wait for her to heal." Rick lifted Nyx up, carrying her to the car. Enchantress sat in the back, Nyx lying on her lap. Rick carried her to hospital, Enchantress walking behind them. They were surprised to see the other members of the Taskforce were also in the hospital. A doctor showed Rick where to put Nyx and then the waiting game began.

The first two days of Nyx being dead where uneventful, but on the third day Deadshot woke up. His eyes drifted over the withering forms of his teammates before turning to Nyx's body. His eyes widened as he saw Enchantress sitting beside Nyx, Rick on the other side, asleep. "I thought we killed you." He croaked out, his voice hoarse from his screams. Enchantress looked over to him. "You did," She said softly, "But Incubus and I survived in Nyx." She explained, and Deadshot nodded his head, eyes closing as he drifted back to sleep. Enchantress let him, eyes drifting back towards Nyx. It was unusual that Nyx was dead this long, especially with just a bullet wound. She thought back to the conversations Incubus and she'd share in. He always thought that Nyx was falling in love with the Joker, and now Enchantress was starting to think that too. Maybe Nyx hated the Joker so much because she fell in love with him. Maybe she was in love with the man she died with, and that was why her healing powers weren't working. "Nyx, listen to me. I can't stay in June forever, you wouldn't want that. And because you had connections with the others, they are suffering too. You can't stay dead forever, please come back." Enchantress whispered in her younger sister's ear, hoping that Incubus was edging Nyx on as well.