Werewolves 101

I sat back down on the bed wearily. I didn't know what to do. I knew I was attracted to Kane, but surely that had to do with either my new werewolf status, or some remnants of Stockholm Syndrome.

I knew I wasn't attracted to him because of his winning personality. Plus, there was still Aidan, who I genuinely liked. Who I also thought was going to freak out when I finally got a hold of him. My stomach clenched at the thought of the gory crime scene I had left behind in the warehouse. Maybe I wouldn't be contacting Aidan after all.

As much as I didn't like Kane I was sorry I had pissed him off. I had no idea what to do now and no one to turn to.

With a sigh I made my way back into the bathroom to wash my face and hopefully give myself a quick pep talk. Bathrooms seemed to be my safe haven these days.

The coolness felt good on the back of my neck, and I gripped the marble counter top. The marble started to whine in my grip and I quickly let go. Parts of me were still coming to terms with the whole werewolf thing. I just wanted a normal, safe life and it seemed it was always just out of my reach.

I came back into the bedroom to find Elise sitting in a chair, she had clearly been waiting on me.

"How is it that I didn't hear you? Shouldn't I have like super werewolf hearing or something?"

"Oh of course, but all of Kane's rooms have been soundproofed for his privacy."

She smiled at me sweetly. It was unnerving that a sweet middle aged woman had a connection to one of the more domineering and frustrating men I had the pleasure of knowing, and was also a werewolf.

"So what exactly am I supposed to do now? I have a human boyfriend who is going to start worrying about me eventually. I left behind a crime scene that would make Jeffery Dahmer jealous, and apparently I smell like an all you can eat sex buffet!"

While my question had been hypothetical I was hoping for some advice..

"Why don't you have a seat."

She gestured to the bed across from her. I sat quietly. Something about Elise (now that I knew she wasn't part of a kidnapping ring) reminded me of my mother. My mother had been stern, but you never doubted she loved you. I missed her calm way.

"Cassie, this life is a hard one, I'm not going to lie to you, doubly so because you weren't born to this world. With the bad though, comes the good. These wolves, the ones you've met, and the ones you haven't, are the most loyal pack you could hope for. Any of them would lay down their lives for another. I know Kane seems rough around the edges, but he has the weight of the entire pack on his shoulders. It's his job to protect us and he takes our well being very seriously. He is a good alpha Cassie and a good man.

I know you blame him for turning you and putting you in this situation, but I know if there had been another way to save your life he would have done it. He tries to do his best by us all, even when we sometimes don't deserve it."

I didn't say anything for a while. I didn't share her views about Kane and quite frankly I was more concerned with myself at the moment.

"This is just a lot for me Elise. I... I killed those men, and I didn't feel bad about it. When the shock finally wore off, I didn't feel remorse and I should have. It shouldn't be so easy to take a life. Is that what being a werewolf is about?"

"Cassie, being a werewolf is many things. You have better hearing, better sight, a better sense of smell. You are stronger, faster, but you are still you. Being a werewolf does change you, but it only enhances what was already there."