Memories

I frowned at him. Surely we weren't back to being suspicious of me. Surely.

He noticed my look and frowned back.

"You two. I swear. Look Kane if Cassie has some sort of evil plan I can't even imagine what it is. Who would honestly go through that much trouble to get you to change them. She was brutally attacked. Twice. That's just pushing it even for you. Plus when she was finally here she tried to escape as I recall. Or did you forget that she didn't choose to be here?" Mia asked raising an eyebrow.

I wish I could explain it as eloquently as that, but every time I tried to explain something to Kane we either ended up screaming at each other, or kissing, or both. I crossed my arms and settled on a nod.

"But none of this makes sense Mia."

"Well that's not her fault. She's the victim here!"

I nodded again. Mia was doing a good job making my case.

"Well what am I supposed to do?"

"Finally. I thought you would never ask. The way I see it this somehow revolves around Cassie. Why don't we just wait them out. The more you look for them the more attention we give them. That's what they're wanting right? They need the pack, or you, or Cassie, or all of us for something. I think if we lay low and ignore them they will come to us."

"And you just think they will leave humans alone until then?" Kane asked skeptically.

"Cassie how long have you been living here?"

"A few months I guess."

"Alright Kane in those months how many humans besides Cassie have been attacked?" Mia asked, I was starting to see her point.

"Well we don't know-"

"Kane. We have dealt with Rogues before. They leave a mess. No one has turned up dead, or missing. The only person who has even come into contact with them has been Cassie. You're telling me you really think they're going to all of a sudden change their game plan? No. I don't buy that. They want something, and if we stop hunting them how will they get it?"

"Wait, I'm confused. How is hunting them helping them?" I thought I had been following, but now I was lost.

"Right now we don't really know how many Rogues are involved in this incident. They are aware of the fact that the first one we caught would be brought here for... questioning."

I decided I didn't want to know what that meant. I was pretty sure Miguel had laid out a table of instruments to... question me with. I shuddered.

"Okay. Here's one we haven't thought of. What if I'm the wrong person?"

Kane opened his mouth and closed it again. Mia looked thoughtful.

"No," they answered simultaneously.

"But why! Couldn't this all just be a huge mistake? I mean come on. You've met me. What would a bunch of Rogues want with a temperamental redhead whose vocabulary is fifty percent swear words? And Mia's right it's not like I'm working with them. If I knew all this shit was gonna happen in Montana I would have stayed where I was!"

I wasn't sure how true that last part was, because fuck Jason, but I might have run in the opposite direction!

"Alright I suppose both of you have a good point. Especially you Mia. I agree that taking some of the pressure off the Rogues might force them to act. For now Cassie you will train to defend yourself, and Mia you will continue to keep an eye on her."

If two people could convey more exasperation into a sigh I didn't know them. But I think Mia and I were in agreement that this was the best we would get out of him right now. He left as quickly as he had come.

"Does he have some sort of sixth sense? Because I mean he never walks in when we're talking about the latest episode of Supernatural, but one mention of the Rogues and there he is."

"I've been trying to figure it out for years. Let me tell you now it's a waste of time," Mia chuckled. "So you really don't know anything?"

"Honestly I don't. If I knew what they wanted with me I would tell you, believe me."

Mia nodded. I guessed she believed me because she didn't say anything else on the subject. After a little bit more mindless conversation I decided to turn in. My body was exhausted from trying to change and my mind was exhausted from repeating my new mantra 'why me?'

The cool sheets felt like heaven against my hotter than usual skin. Sometimes I felt completely normal and then sometimes all of a sudden my body wouldn't feel like my own. Maybe completing the change would help me to fit back into my skin, and maybe it would just make this alien feeling worse. I tossed, and turned and tried to relax but my mind wasn't having it. 

I sat up in bed, wondering what had woken me. I looked around my bedroom but nothing was messed up. I pushed my sweaty curls out of my face and laid back down. I was closing my eyes when I heard voices from downstairs. I guess mommy and daddy hadn't gone to sleep yet. I rolled over expecting to see light under my door from the downstairs kitchen, but it was dark. I listened harder. I could hear mommy but she was talking to another lady, not my daddy. They sounded angry. I slipped out of bed the cool hardwood floor in my bedroom felt good against my warm feet. I tiptoed to the door and slowly pulled it open. The voices were louder, but I couldn't see anything from the top of the steps. If they were in the kitchen I could spy over the railing, but if they were in the living room I would have to go down a few steps to peek around the hand rail.

I snuck a look over the balcony and didn't see anyone or any lights in the kitchen so I went back to the stairs. I skipped the squeaky step and went down about halfway. I still couldn't see them, but I could hear them a lot better. They were trying to be quiet, but both of them were upset I could tell.

"Alisha, you need to leave. I have not changed my mind. I won't be training Cassie, now or ever. She will be a normal child."

"She needs to be able to protect herself, she is the very last of the line and they will want her."

"They won't have her, and I dare them to try. Alisha I will only ask once more. Leave or I will escort you out. I am finished with this and finished with you."

"I will go, but you need to be careful. By cutting yourself off you are endangering yourself and your family."

I heard the door shut and quietly ran for my bedroom door. I was just closing my eyes when mommy opened my door to peek inside.

I sat up quickly, gasping for breath. I was soaked in sweat and tangled in the covers and having trouble remembering where I was. My childhood bedroom was superimposed over the room I was staying in now. I blinked and rubbed my eyes. The dream had the realistic quality of a memory, but it didn't seem to be one I could recall at will.

My memories of my mother were hazy at best. I was young when she died, but that had been in technicolor. I laid slowly back down trying to puzzle out what my mom had been talking to. As far as I knew she didn't have any friends named Alisha, and after she had died my dad certainly  hadn't mentioned any. I had no idea what they could have been talking about, but the one part I couldn't seem to stop replaying over and over in my head was mom saying they wouldn't have me.

Who were they?