Theories

I sat on the bed cross legged across from Mia. She was staring at me, trying to keep her facial expression neutral.

"Cassie, it's fine. You were nervous. You'll change eventually."

Whereas before I had been happy I couldn't change now I felt defective. Which was embarrassing.

"Mia, nothing about this is fine. I finally come to terms with being a werewolf and then I can't even shift! Isn't that like the defining part of being a werewolf."

"Honestly Cassie you're really beginning to redefine the rules so I wouldn't worry about it now. There's a lot more to worry about."

"Like what?"

"Well yes Kane is taking care of the Rogues, but he and I disagree on keeping you in the dark. After all you are the one they attacked."

Finally someone was going to give me some information.

"So what is going on?"

"From what you told us Miguel said we know they have a particular interest in you. Right now Kane is trying to figure out why."

"Yeah okay, and what has he found out?"

"Well, I don't really know. He won't tell me. I guess he knows I'll tell you, but I just keep getting this feeling that something is off."

Well my weird meter was off the charts here lately, so I could sympathize.

"Okay, you mean something besides the whole kidnapping and 'we want your power Cassie' and me being a werewolf?"

Because I really couldn't handle much else.

"I know that's a lot for you, but our world tends to be a little brutal, so that's not really what has me so confused."

"Alright well what about this exactly is bothering you?"

"The rogues attacked you the first time when you left work correct?" I nodded an affirmation. "That makes sense to me. They were hunting and you were an easy target. What I find strange about the whole encounter is that one was in human form and one was in wolf form."

"Why is that weird?"

"Most of the time everyone is in wolf form. The first thing you did was tell the police it was a man and a giant dog correct? Rogues in general are smart enough to either not leave a witness or not let anyone see their faces. They don't want anyone finding out about then anymore than we do."

"I mean, he did stab me. So maybe he thought he wasn't leaving a witness?"

"No, even if he was newly turned, which I don't think he was since he was controlling the other wolf, he should have been able to smell whether that was a killing blow or not."

"I probably would have bled out if Kane hadn't found me."

"Which is the other strange part," she agreed. "From what Kane said those Rogues had to have known he was on their trail. There shouldn't have been any reason to think he wouldn't find you and get you medical attention. Not even because he is a good person but because a body is the last thing Kane wants to deal with while he is hunting them down."

"So if I'm following you're trying to say that the Rogues knew Kane would find and help me? Then what was the whole point of the attack anyways!?"

"This is where is gets a little crazy and the reason I haven't really said anything about my theory to Kane yet. I think the Rogues wanted Kane to find you, but were hoping by the time he found you the only thing to be done to save you would be a bite from him."