Time

The first thing I noticed was that I was naked. The second thing I noticed was that I was lying on a cool metal table, and the third thing I noticed was that bent over my midsection needle and thread in hand was a wolf I hadn't met yet.

"What the actual fuck is going on!?" 

I tried to sit up but Kane's hands on my shoulders prevented the hasty movement.

"I told you she would wake up cussing. That's fifty bucks you owe me, Doc."

I glared up at the smug bastard above me. Here I am naked and full of holes, none of them natural, and he has the nerve to make jokes! He looked down at me with a smirk, but it wasn't humor that I saw in his eyes. That same wild anger he had shown in the forest was still simmering under the surface. 

I didn't want anymore injuries, so I decided not to poke the beast, for now. I bit back another curse as the needle entered my skin. The clawed skin of my stomach was angry, and hot, and sensitive. Frankly I could relate, but I tried to clam my temper and take deep breaths. That turned out to be a mistake when my large inhale caused the skin to pull against the fresh stitches.

"Motherfucker! Your bedside manner is terrible, Doc. Don't you have any pain meds?"

I winced as the needle entered my skin again.

"Our metabolisms are too high. Pain medication would have to be continuously administered and even then the effects would be greatly diluted. Your body burns through it too quickly. But regardless you are almost finished; everything else is stitched. This is the last area. You shouldn't have run off and gotten yourself torn to pieces."

"They had Mia," the words came out as a snarl and I tried to control my anger. The doctor and Kane shared a quick look. He didn't say anything else while he finished my stitches and neither did I or Kane. 

After what felt like ages the doctor bandaged the freshly stitched wounds and handed me a robe. I hastily shrugged it on trying not to catch it on any of my many bandages. When I was covered I hesitantly turned toward Kane. I had yet to pinpoint the cause of the tumultuous emotions I could see brewing behind his eyes.

"How is Mia?" I asked softly.

"She is fine. You saved her life," he clipped out.

"Why are you mad at me?"

Normally I had at least as passing idea of what I do to piss people off, Kane especially, but for the life of me I had no idea why he was angry.

"Why am I mad at you? I am not mad, Cassie. I am furious."

I felt the begging of the stirring warmth in my chest that meant anger, but I pushed it down. Kane was madder than I had ever seen him and I didn't need to add fuel to his blazing fire.

"Kane, whatever it is, I'm sorry."

Now he had me apologizing and I didn't even know what for!? Get a grip Cassie don't make it worse. He shot me a look that I couldn't decipher and stood a step toward me. The last time I had felt this much like prey was right after he kidnapped me.

I swallowed loudly and took a step back. The backs of my thighs brushed up against the cool metal table where I had been laying. Kane took two more steps and quickly grabbed me by the upper arm, his grip bruising. For one single second a different face flashed before me and a different hand held my arm. I don't know what Kane saw on my face, but he dropped my arm like it burned running an aggressive hand through his dark hair. 

"Christ, Cassie," he growled at me

He was still furious, and I was getting impatient. We both knew he wasn't really going to hurt me. I paused at that thought, I didn't know why I was so confident that he wouldn't hurt me, but I knew it deep in my bones.