Running Head First

- WARNING - Some strong and offensive language ahead.

As Liz walked in to school, hidden gestures and whispered murmurs were directed at her. Not all were bad, but not all were good either. Many of the students were just curious. Trying to confirm the rumors they'd heard through back and side channels.

They saw Liz with curiosity, as if she were an exotic creature. They were apprehensive to approach or engage her out of concern for their own social wellbeing. Liz could easily recognized this in their gazes and body language.

"Geez I'm not carrying a disease or something," she said to herself walking past the gawking crowd.

If this were the extent, it would have been bearable. But some students were genuinely, and visibly disgusted to the perceived betrayal of the street code by talking to the cops, or so they thought. These were the ones she was worried about.

As she continued walking, keeping her gaze down while looking to her sides, two six foot tall guys walked straight in front of her and walked right through her, knocking her books out her hand and tripping Liz hard on the ground.

"That's what snitches get!" said one of the guys.

"What the fuck! I didn't even snitch," Liz finally yelled out in frustration. Everyone turning their eyes from her, except for one.

"Hey Liz are you alright? Did you fall?" said Roland rushing in.

Roland was one of the few kids in school with a promising future. He was an honor roll student and played the clarinet in the school band. He was not particularly athletic but he was very smart. That and because he was a "mutt" or half black, half white, did not make him one of the popular kids. Both of his parents were still together and came from a more traditional family. Which was not considered normal around those parts.

His dad was a bus driver and his mom a hairdresser and had a younger sister who was five years old. The family was considered well-off for these reasons, but realistically were not much better off than most people.

They had been broken into a couple of times, but not much was taken since there wasn't much to take from. The break-ins stopped soon after, but this only lead to more teasing and vandalism for the only broke white boy in the hood.

Roland had a not so subtle crush on Liz that she would take advantage off on occasion. Mostly to get her assignments done on time. But once in a while, when she felt lonely or needed an ego boost, she would talk to him and just hang out. All the while making sure nobody knew they were hanging out of course. This day was one of the few occasion she was happy to see him.

"Yes Rolls I fell," Liz said cynically.

Roland was a bit pudgy, so Rolls was naturally what he was called by the other kids. He was not fond of that name and made it be known on more than one occasion but that only seemed to encourage its usage.

"Be nice. You know I don't like that name," he said quietly as if asking for a favor.

Liz was just upset over the morning's events. She did not apologize or acknowledge his request out right but did feel as if she was taking her frustrations out on him.

"Here, help me up. Let's get out here," she said as they moved swiftly into the main building.

As they walked into the building, Liz caught eye of The Crew. She initially thought of avoiding them but decided to encounter them then and there.

"Just let it go. Why do you even want to be part of them? You're better than them," he said seeing her intentions. With the somber look of a kid in love, who meant his word hoping they would reach her.

"Don't worry about it. It's not your life Rolls," she parted annoyed at the implication. How could someone else besides her know her worth or what was better for her.

Rolls had no choice but to turn his face down in disappointment, and embarrassment at Liz's shut down.

Liz walked swiftly, and decisively towards her would be jurors. The Crew seeing her approach, shoot venomous stares at her. Still she kept forward.

"Look at this bitch. You got some balls to be stepping up here!" Jo, the oldest girl said to Liz.

"Better put yo stuff away before she rats on us," said someone in the group.

"I aint no snitch," Liz said for what she thought was the hundredth time.

"You, your brother who cares!" said someone else from inside the group.

"My brother doesn't speak for me. I don't do what he says," Liz stated. Her stance firm, her resolve strong.

"Really? Cuz where we sitting, it looks like you got a lot to prove. You really haven't been contributing none to the group and now your own blood has gone in against one of ours. You wanna kick it with us you gonna have to get down some," Jo, the apparent ring leader, put forward to Liz.

"Like what?" inquired the instinctively cautious Liz.

"See. You ask too many damn questions. You either down or you aint. What? You scared or somethings?" challenged Jo once more.

"No, I'm not scared," Liz replied reluctant to go against her nature, but aware she had to do something big now to prove herself to the group.

Chuckles and teasing were uttered by The Crew.

"Okay. Lay low lil sis. When it's time I'll come to you and you better come through. You's on probation right now. But I believe in you. I think you can do good with us if you can prove yo self," the charismatic older girl confided in Liz. Walking her with a reassuring arm over her.

"I'll be calling on you soon. Make sure you don't disappoint me," Jo instructed in a semi threatening manner.

"I'll answer don't worry," Liz responded with as much resolve as before, and renewed excitement at the prospect of an opportunity to make a name for herself. Still, nervous at the mystery of what that opportunity may be. She didn't care though, or more precisely didn't want to care. Her instincts had a different opinion and she was actively fighting them back.

Her instincts had only made life difficult by turning her into a recluse. She was done with that life. She had nothing to show for all of her instincts and this was her chance. Besides, David was the one that forced her hand. Now, she just needed to wait and be ready for when The Crew called.

As Liz walked off to continue the rest of her day, Jo walked back to the group who seemed upset at the turn of events.

"Why we even messin around with this chick? We should'a beat her down to send her and her bro a message not to mess with us," said one of the kids.

"It aint yo problem right? Besides you gonna be real happy when she's the one getting pounded and not you," Jo said.