Travel a Mile

David headed off on a bus to the location of the shop. It was not easy to get there. He had to take multiple buses and it took a while to get there. On the ride, he thought about what everyone had told him over the last couple of days. He thought about what grams had said. How she did not blame him and how he need not carry the burden he placed on himself for so long.

He thought about her courage and resolve on saying she would still go on even if he left and how scare she was about how she could not turn away from her responsibilities. He also thought about Cheeto, Capt'n, Claudia, Allen, Sammy, Clyde and his dead son. How they all had to struggle with their own lives and how they all approached them so differently, yet still they had to deal with the crime and violence on top of it all.

He wasn't like Claudia. He could not do the, teach every child and send the off and hope for the best approach. He also couldn't do the Cheeto or Capt'n thing and just maroon through life hoping to land somewhere and carve himself a spot while he saw evil men do evil things to good people. But he didn't trust or believe in the police either. He didn't as a child and he didn't as a soldier seeing their corruption and incompetence abroad. What he didn't want to admit is that the also sought thrill and excitement.

It was something he became addicted to and the mundane, day to day, routine was driving him crazy. He was young and still with a lot to prove and felt trapped, underutilized for all the skills and the knowledge he had. If he was going to stay, he needed something to let him feel free and alive. It was clear from the argument with Grams that David had a lot of anger and pent up frustration that would need to be focused, and he might have found an avenue for them.

He rode across town. It was the morning commute still. He saw women, men, boys and girls go about their business. Getting on the bus waiting on the next stop and going on about their daily routine. People trying to provide, to get ahead. Some had smiles on their face, others were stoic, but none seemed mad. None appeared defeated. How could they right?

It was morning and no matter where they were going, how bad things were or how much work was left for them to reach their goals, they still got up this morning and set out. They could have stayed home. They could have given up on whatever made them get up and make this commute. But they didn't, not yet. They all still had hope for their plans. Just like Grams had said earlier. This made David smile.

Almost two hours and three buses later, David arrived at the old docks. The area was heavily industrialized. Lots of fisheries and lumberyards. It was busy and a lot of trucks, and rigs roamed around almost freely.

It was not touristy or a pedestrian friendly zone, which made it difficult to navigate. The sidewalk disappeared at a certain point and only gravel road remained. There were no trees or shade of any kind. The only structures were old generic buildings with faded colors and no clear visible points of entry. The smell of salt water was the only reminder of the ocean nearby. There was no beach or clear way get into the water, not that one would want to get in to it.

David made it to the place that the Capt'n had instructed to Clyde's location. It was a business front in a newer building. It didn't look rundown and looked busy. At least busier than the old run down shop Clyde had taken David to. This facility read 'Freedom International'. It was an interesting name for a car shop David thought.

David didn't notice any cars out, or anybody, or anything that one would expect to see at a car shop.

"What kind of car shop is this?" asked David as he walked through the front door and was greeted by a receptionist.

"Good afternoon, can I help you?" asked an older woman at the front desk.

"Hi yes, I don't know if I'm at the right place but I'm looking for a Clyde Johnson?"