The Playground

David and Cheeto resumed their way to the center. It was almost 3 P.M. when they arrived and most of the kids were there by then. The scene was chaotic as usual. Cheeto and David reached the front desk where they had to sign in.

"Hi Cheeto!" said the Cleo at the desk.

"Hey girl. How's your pretty-self doing?" asked Cheeto leaning on the desk with a suave smile.

"Shut up Cheeto. Don't try to be smooth. You're not smooth," said Cleo jokingly as she smiled at Cheeto. David fought to keep from cracking a smile having just heard this not long ago.

"Chingao (Damnit)! You all be communicating or what?" Cheeto asked out-loud. Cleo keep smiling not understanding what he meant.

"If you are looking for Claudia, she's not here," said Cleo, certain of Cheeto's longings.

"Psh! I ain't even here to see her," replied Cheeto, indifferent of the thought.

"Ni me preocupa donde este (don't even care where she's at). I got other business to handle know-what-I-mean," he said winking at Cleo then looking at David for corroboration. David returned a blank gaze and shook his head while Cleo continued to smile at Cheeto politely. Neither knowing what Cheeto meant.

"Shup up Cheeto!" Cleo squeaked with the mannerisms of a jubilant fourteen year old, pleasantly amused by him. Cheeto flashed his smile, which he seemed used to end every sentence with.

"Pero si no esta? (So she's not here?)" broke down Cheeto and asked discretely.

"Cheeto you are so helpless," replied Cleo sympathetically.

"No, she's not here. I think she's running late from one of her classes. She'll be here though, don't worry," she reassured him.

"I guess we'll go see what the enanos (dwarfs) are doing then," said Cheeto referring to the kids.

"Oh-my-god you're so mean!" Cleo said as Cheeto and David made their way inside.

The two walked in to kids clamoring to greet Cheeto as was always the case. Only this time David too was greeted by them. The children took notice of his bruises and bandages as children are prone too. Some became frightened of his 'deformities' as the children understood them.

Others would stare at him as if he had monkeys growing on his face. And some would straight up asked him what happened and if it hurt and was he a monster or if he was going to die like Michael Johnson's older cousin whose cuts looked just like David's and his brains leaked out of them and he dieded when he laid down.

Of course there was no such kid Michael Johnson, and David only had a few cut and bruises. After a few minutes of this, the kids move on to something else. Cheeto and David then made their way to the playground where once again kids played ball and some danced and sang.

On an isolated patch of grass played Sammy with the luchador that David had given him. Sammy played not so much with the toy as along with it. He talked to it as if it were alive. He had even named the toy 'Paul'.

Sammy played unaware of the rest of the world around him. He was immersed in a world all to himself. The rest of children left him alone for the most part.

Sammy noticed Cheeto and David come out into the yard and with his new found courage, and Paul, braved the crowd of kids and walked up to the guys.

"Hola mi (Hello my) Sammy! Y ahora (And now)!?" said Cheeto surprised to see Sammy push his way through.

Sammy paid no attention and pushed Paul in the direction of Cheeto.