52 - Field Trip

The following morning nothing was out of the ordinary at the kitchen table. Liz did have to cover some scratches and bruises in her wrist, neck and face. She did thank Grams for the dinner plate who did not ask too many questions during breakfast. After both Grams and Liz left, David waited around for Cheeto.

That morning was the day of Claudia's fundraiser. Cheeto was supposed to stop by and pick David up and head out to the University to help set up. David expected Cheeto around eight thirty in the morning, and knowing Cheeto, he would probably be late. So David figure he had time to relax and get ready. He headed back upstairs when he heard the loud muffler of Cheeto's old clunker.

"That's not him," said David to himself hoping more than anything.

The following honking and subtle call of,

"Let's go sunshine!" as Cheeto parked in the driveway indicated otherwise.

David headed back downstairs to greet Cheeto at the door who was already walking up the doorway.

"Wake up! You not ready yet?" said Cheeto in surprise.

"I told you to come at eight thirty!" said David clearly upset.

"Serio (really)? I thought we said seven thirty," rebuffed David.

David looked at Cheeto in bewilderment.

"Its six-forty-five!" said David.

"Oh pues (well)! I didn't want to be late," said Cheeto.

"I wanted to avoid traffic," replied Cheeto.

"You are almost two hours early. Even walking we'll make it on time. Which given your car, would probably be a safer bet," snarked David who was headed upstairs.

"Don't dish on my ride. Hey where you headed?" asked Cheeto.

"Back to bed!" said David.

"Ahh come on bro! Let's get going! There's a ton to do. Gonna be a busy morning. With all the senoritas (ladies) and the sun. Hmm gonna be a good day for Cheeto," he said to himself since David was gone now.

Fortunately for both, David was an early riser. He did not want to sit around and wait so he started to get ready. All the same, he was not as exited to go to the University and be around a bunch of presumptuous young people. But he did promise he'd help and so he would.

A few minutes later David headed back downstairs ready where Cheeto waited.

"Lla (Ready)? Pareces vieja (You're like a woman)," said Cheeto who was in a hurry.

"You're kidding me right? It was like ten minutes," replied David.

"Really? Well, it felt longer. As,i a lo bravo (Like this, raw)!" said Cheeto rushing David out the door.

"How do you get ready?" asked David.

"Just get up and go," said Cheeto.

"You don't shower? That's just gross," said David.

Cheetos car was completely different than Lolas or Briannas. His 1998 civic EX came with no fender or even clean interior. The red paint was faded and water marks were abundant. The tires were plain and possibly bald. There were no power windows but as Cheeto would often say,

"Aqui esta tu (Here's your) power!" pointing to his biceps.

The interior smelled dusty as well as manly. There were dirty clothes, plastic bags, and old discarded fast food wrappings and bottles of soda scattered through the back.