SINS OF THE PAST

WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE, ADULT SITUATIONS. READER DISCRETION ADVISED. 

Where is that stupid kid!" the young mother paced back and forth, her fist clenched and her gaze piercing as the sun set.

"Calm down woman. He'll be here. He's just being a boy. You can't be on top of him all the time. You'll only push him away," said the older woman protective of her grandson.

"No Lupe. Not in this house! I've told him a million times. He knows he has to be here before sundown and if he's here a minute late, he knows what's waiting for him," said the young woman pacing violently in the living room of the modest two story house. Her fist clinching, and her face strained with anticipation of how she would carve this lesson further into his skin.

"Aye, Gloria! You can't keep beating on that poor boy. You're going to traumatize him," pleaded the exasperated Grandmother.

"Roberto! Tell your wife something. She can't keep treating my grandson like that," said the old woman with her son.

"He can't say anything about it! These are my children and I'll do whatever I want with them! They are my responsibility and I'll deal with them my way!" rebuffed Gloria not letting the father reply who sat in the couch watching T.V., with their five year old Elizabeth, curled up in his arms. Trying to stay out of the wrath of his wife. Not even bothering to give his opinion because he knew he had none.

The minutes clicked by and David ran through the streets anxious, scared of what waited for him at home. The thirteen year old wishing he could go back in time to when his mother was not on edge all the time. Back to a time when he didn't feel everything he did was wrong.

"He's ten minutes late," said the young mother in a low, fierce tone; as if the tension of her body prevented the words from properly escaping her.

"Aye, Gloria. Calm down. You are making me nervous. You don't make things any better when you get like this. It's not good for anybody," said the Grandmother trying to bring harmony back into the turbulent household.

"That's it..." Gloria rushed for her coat and a thick, brown, leather belt, and looped it in her hand.

"Gloria, stop. What do you think you are doing?"

"I'm going to go look for him, drag him by the hair and beat him till I can't grip the belt!"

"No, please, stop! You're going to kill him!" pleaded the frightened Grandma.

"Then maybe that way he'll learn to listen to me!"

"Listen to yourself woman! You're acting like a lunatic. Please stop and think of what you are doing," said the Grandma trying to stop Gloria from walking out the door.

"That's my problem! Please get out of the way Lupe, and stay out of this."

"I'm not going to stand-by and watch you kill my grandson!"

"Then at least he'll die by my hands," said Gloria prying herself from Grandma's hands and made her way to the door when David walked in. The sight of Grams and his mother wrestling, and the words from his mother's lips terrified the boy and sent him out into the streets again, seemingly for his life.

"David! Get back here!" shouted his mother as she ran out after him.

He had never seen her as agitated, this ravenous. Her murderous eyes chasing after him with her shouts of alarm ringing in the background - like a barking dog on the chase with a promise of danger should it catch up.

David ran down the street, and into an alley where he hid under piles of scrap littering the way. He could hear his mother's calls "David! David!" echo through the alley as she got closer.

Twilight set overhead as he saw her come into the alley.

"David, please come back. David! Please..." shouted the young mother, her tone changed dramatically - no longer angry, instead desperately looking for her child.

"David, please. I'm sorry, please come back to me," she beaconed.

David remained hidden, his heart still pumping with fear, and anxiety. He wondered whether he could trust her, or if it was a ploy to get him out of hiding. But she seemed sincere. There was alarm, and urgency in her voice which David never heard before. But this also gave him pause – a prelude to an unseen threat.

As she got closer David could see his mother's face, wretched in desperation and on the verge of crying.

David's heart dove to his stomach. He had never seen this expression of sorrow, and pain in his mother and an overwhelming desire to console her surged from deep inside of him. David truly loved his mother and, in this moment, he realized just how much he did. When his eyes locked into hers they did not cause any fear. Instead they filled him with strength, and power that felt natural to him.

As he emerged, a flash rang out from behind her. It was repetitive, and in a second, the report of gun shots rang out; making what was before inaudible, now permeate over everything else.

David's pupils' dilated totry to make out what was going on, but all he saw was that slender, andfamiliar for of his mother twist in un-natural ways. Her expression neverchanged, but remained the same into eternity. Frightened, lost, terrified, anddesperate to find that which was of most importance to her, David.

=========================================================================

Hello dear reader and welcome to my book! Take a seat and get comfortable. I will try to entertain you, move you, motivate you, and inspire you. Really if I just keep you reading for a while I'll be happy! :D 

I am not the greatest writer or a good one, but I am passionate about this story. I hope you give it a chance and that it's worth your time, because your time is special and valuable and I respect it. 

This is my fist attempt at writing a book, or creative writing in almost a decade so please forgive me it it's rough. Please give me your critiques, advice, pointers you name it! I want to make this the best work I can. Thank you for your time and let's get started! :D 

Yours truly, 

Rogerio

e��N�