Lola and the Boys

WARNING - Mature Language

Liz made her way to the corner down the street from her house. She checked her time and had three minutes to spare. The night was cold with a clear sky. The glare of the city lights diming the natural sky light, showing only a fraction of the stars. It was around nine-thirty and many of the houses remained awake. Few people walked in the streets as kids went inside from playing. Through the windows Liz could see T.V.'s on as families watched them together. The light and glare made the homes look warm and safe. Outside, the cold, dark world made Liz feel exposed and vulnerable waiting for someone she did not know.

Liz started to wonder what she was doing and if she should go back on the whole thing. Dogs barked at her as she waited, seeking a secluded spot away from the street lights. She could not see any cars or anybody coming for her. Time passed and it was now forty-five minutes since she got the call. She had been waiting for fifteen minutes on the corner and she started to wonder if anybody was coming at all.

"Maybe they can't see me," she thought and left her secluded spot and walked to the bright lit corner. She stood there looking up and down the empty streets but no-one came.

Shed stood under the light visible to everyone for about five minutes before retreating back to the secluded spot. The dogs of the house started to bark once more and startled her.

"Stupid dogs. Shut up!" she said in another whisper. The dogs did not care of her desire to go unnoticed and continued to bark and growl, forcing her to seek solitude elsewhere. Liz decided to cross the street and find a new spot. It is surprisingly difficult to find a good inconspicuous corner to hide out in the street at night and Liz was finding this out the hard way.

Liz saw two people walk in her direction but it was clear these were not the people she was waiting for. It was an older couple who was out for night stroll. She awkwardly stood there as they slowly and painfully made their approach to her.

"Great. Who goes out for a walk at this hour?" she ironically thought.

Liz didn't want to call attention to herself but she also did not want to leave, should her contact arrive at that moment. So she stood there, a fifteen year old girl, standing around at ten at night by the side of a house in the dark. Nothing suspicious about it at all.

The couple finally walked by past her and stared at her uncomfortably.

"They probably think I'm a hoodlum or something," Liz thought as the couple passed by.

More time passed, Liz had now been waiting out on the corner for forty-five minutes and still no sign anyone. She was mad, cold, tired and now hungry of all things. The old couple had come and gone and she wanted to die of embarrassment. Her phone rang and she promptly picked up.

"Hello?" she asked as calmly as she could.

"You at the corner?" asked the person.

"Yes. I've been here for forty-five minutes!" she said not able to hide her snarky attitude.

"Don't be giving me no attitude. We doing you the favor remember?" said the girl's voice on the other end.

"Sorry. Didn't mean too," said Liz.

"Better be sorry. Anyway, we'll be there in ten minutes," said the girl and hung up.

"Great," said Liz agonizing at having to wait longer but also relieved that at least someone was on their way. She was not forgotten, or waiting in vain.

Seven minutes after the phone call, Liz saw the light of a car round the corner a few blocks from her. Her heart begun to race thinking this was her ride. Sure enough the LED lights of a BMW pulled up playing a high bass beat. It was a white, newer model. Nicer than most of the cars in the neighborhood. It was the nicest car Liz had ever stood this close too.