Chapter 1 +

Chapter 1

August- Junior

[Niall’s POV]

“And in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, please go in peace.”

I made the sign of the cross with rest of the congregation as the priest blessed us with the final blessing. It was a little bit sad to have another beautiful service come to a close. I sat beside my mother as she sang the closing hymn proudly. She really did love to sing. She might not have been the best, but when comes to our Lord, it doesn’t matter if you’re the best or not. As long as you are offering him your time and praises, he takes them with open arms.

On the other side of me was my older brother Greg. He had come down from college for the weekend and that meant he had to come to church with us. I secretly knew, even though he wouldn’t tell mum and dad, that he hadn’t been regularly attending church like he was supposed to. He was slacking quite a bit. I knew college was beginning to get the best of him and I truly hope he wouldn’t be sucked into the evils of the wicked and unfortunate. I know I’m only a junior in high school, but I think I’ve done a pretty decent job warding off the evils in life.

Beside my older brother was my father, Deacon Bobby. Most of the parishioners addressed him as Deacon Bob or Deacon Horan,  but to me, he was just dad. I didn’t see him as our Deacon, just because I lived with him. However, just because I didn’t see him as my deacon doesn’t mean that the rest of the church didn’t. He was a highly respected man, even if he was married. He explains to new comers that he wanted to serve the lord, but he felt as though he was being called to something else at the same time. He then explains life as a deacon and how he can be married while still serving the Lord. Many people applaud my father for his services and I don’t see why they wouldn’t. He is a great man.

Of course, as much as I admire my father, my mother is an equal counterpart. She might not be one of the heads of our church, but she does a lot for the church. She runs the charity-sponsored events and raises money for our church’s expansion. She also leads the youth bible study during the weeknights. She honestly loves working with the children, but sometimes whenever I ask why she just didn’t have more children, she laughs and pats my cheek lovingly. Obviously someone did not want another me. But it’s okay, because I like just being one of two.

Speaking of my brother, he looked bored as the hymnal came to a close. I refrained from giving him an empathetic look. I knew he would yell if he saw that I was judging him. That was something that I needed to work on. I hated judging people. I’m pretty sure the Lord frowns upon that.

We began to scoot out of the isle an outside in the summer London air. It didn’t feel too horrible today, so I couldn’t be upset. It was one of the nicest days of summer we had so far.

“Niall!”

I turned to see my best friend waving at me excitedly. He had his hair styled in a neat quiff and he was looking very appropriate in his suit today. His skin, which I slightly envied (yes I am aware that it is one of the seven deadly sins and don’t worry I’m working on that too, was radiating today as he approached me and my family with his.

“Hey there Louis,” I said as I hugged him tightly.

“Hello there Mr. and Mrs. Horan. How are you two today?” Louis asked as he shook my father’s hand and gave my mother a small peck on the cheek.

“Quite well, thank you,” my mother said in her dainty voice. My father smiled as Louis and my mother conversed. He had always approved of Louis being in my company.

“How are you today Mrs. Jay?” I asked Louis’ mother. She refused to be called Mrs. Tomlinson for reasons no one has explained to me. I don’t even think Louis knows, but he has never pushed his mother. He just knows his father isn’t around so he takes care of her.