Chapter 2 +

Chapter 2

September- Junior

[Niall’s POV]

It was beginning to get a bit chillier, but nothing I couldn’t handle. It was a lot nicer than the summer, but that was a personal preference. I loved fall and winter. I breathed in the crisp air as I sat on the bleachers waiting for Louis. We drove together today, something we always do on Fridays, so that he could come over afterwards and sleep over. Today, however, was the day of his soccer tryouts. It was his last year and I knew he was going to be team captain. If he wasn’t, I’d be genuinely shocked. Last year, scouts came from all over just for Louis. He usually says that it isn’t true, but I know he’s being modest. He has received so many offers, but knowing Louis, he still doesn’t know what he wants to do with his life.

Louis sat around with some of the other juniors in my grade and some of his senior friends as they began to stretch. I knew Louis was a little nervous, but honestly, I don’t know why he was so nervous. He was a great footballer. He was one of the best in our division. He truly didn’t need to worry.

I whipped out a book I was reading and began to read as I heard padding up the bleachers. I didn’t look up because I knew it was probably just someone here to support a friend so I continued to read.

“Hey.”

I looked up past the edge of my book to see Zayn standing before me with his hands in his pockets. He had his jacket on properly, after being yelled at by the principal several times, and he had a slight smile on his face.

“Hello there,” I said slowly. I was cautious with my words because I was wary as to what Zayn actually wanted from me.

“Do you mind if I sit with you?”

“If you’d like,” I said nonchalantly.

Zayn climbed over the rafters and sat down next to me. “So, is Louis trying out?”

I nodded. “Of course! It’s like you’ve forgotten Lou was a great player.”

“Was?” Zayn asked with an eyebrow raised.

“Well I mean he still is! I just meant back when we all use to hang out together, you know?”

“Oh.”

We were silent for a few moments until I was brave enough to bring back up conversation.

“So who are you here for?”

“Really Niall?”

“What? I’m just asking,” I said defensively as I held my hands up.

“Well I’m here for the only two friends I have at this damn place,” he said sourly before looking down the row of empty bleachers next to us.

“I’m pretty sure you have more than two friends Zayn.”

“Not really.”

“Well it has only been two weeks Zayn.”

“And no one has attempted to befriend me. Aren’t you guys all about arms wide open or some crap like that?”

“Well you have to be willing to accept them as your friends as well Zayn,” I said calmly. Zayn looked at me, but he didn’t say anything. He just shrugged and looked back at the field.

“I haven’t seen you try and be my friend,” Zayn said quietly. “Louis either.”

“We thought you didn’t want to be friends with pretentious Catholic boys,” I retorted.