Chapter 9 +

Chapter 9

April-Junior

[Niall’s POV]

“This pandemic of letting two men or two lie together is becoming outrageous! We must remind our youth what is right and what is sinful!”

My father stood before the congregation at the prayer service and I wanted to die. I felt my stomach churning and I wanted to die. It was like a slap in the face to hear him say this. He didn’t know he was talking about his own son. I concentrated on everything else as my father continued to preach hate.

“Let us rise above this sin. We must bring our brothers and sisters forth into the Lord’s eyes and heal them,” my father said as I heard murmurs of agreement.

I couldn’t believe people were actually agreeing with my father. All of this blasphemy was a horrible message to send. There are children within the congregation believing that this is all okay. I can’t believe I did for a while.

I cautiously glanced around, which I don’t know why I was being so hesitant. No one was really paying any attention to me. It was all about my father and his sermon.

I saw drew in a sharp breath when my eyes landed on a particular person.

Mrs. Tomlinson.

But she looked horrid. Her face was gaunt and her eyes were dead. They weren’t the well-known Tomlinson blue that I was so accustomed to looking at. Instead, they were looking at grey. I also noticed none of the girls were with her today. What was happening in the Tomlinson household?

I noticed everyone around me was beginning to stand up and leave. I, on the other hand, couldn’t rip my gaze off of Mrs. Tomlinson. It wasn’t soon after until she glanced over and our eyes locked. She looked at me for what felt like hours until she got up and began to walk over to me.

“Niall.” Her voice was soft and I knew she was hurting. I even had a guess as to why.

“Good day Mrs. Tomlinson,” I said curtly. She sighed and sat next to me.

“I know I’m not your favorite person, but I did what I thought was best.”

“You turned your back on your own son. How could that be the best?”

“I know it wasn’t a proper thing to do. How is my Boo Bear by the way?”

“Perfectly fine. I don’t think I’ve seen him happier,” I spat out. Mrs. Tomlinson blinked before her eyes began to water. I confirmed my guess as to why she looked so hurt. She missed her son.

“I’m happy to hear that. I mean, he doesn’t call home anymore, and he doesn’t show up here, and I know he wants nothing to do with me,” she said before she sobbed into her hands.

“Hey now,” I said calmly before holding her in an embrace. Sure, she made a terrible decision, but I understand that it’s hard to change so many years of thinking in a manner like this.

“What if he never talks to me again Niall? I don’t think I can live without him.”

“Well, if you miss him so much, go talk to him.”

“But, he’s changed so much, and I don’t know how it’ll go.”

“Jay,” I said softly, “Louis hasn’t changed. He’s still your baby boy. He just so happens to like another boy.”

Jay blinked at me and smiled a little. “You know, if I hadn’t known you my entire life, I wouldn’t think you were a Horan.”

I laughed a little thinking how right she was. How messed up my family was becoming. I was the son of a well-respected preacher and I turned out to be gay. If my father gets too worked up, he lashes out on me; verbally and physically. My mother, well she just sits and watched the whole thing happy.