Chapter 16 +

Chapter 16

November- Senior

[Niall’s POV]

Beep

Beep

Beep

Silence.

The repetition of the noises in this room was driving me insane. I was lying down on the hospital bed, in this room I’d been in for almost two weeks. When I woke up, Liam, Perrie, Zayn, Harry, and Mr. and Mrs. Payne were there. I was so confused, because I honestly didn’t remember what happened. I only remember running into some guy outside of Perrie’s party.

When I saw my reflection for the first time, I threw the mirror at the door. Everyone, but Liam, looked shocked at my behavior. They all jumped or gasped, but all he did was hold my hand and stroke the back of my palm. I didn’t want to face the fact that my body was destroyed. They said they can fix it, but it’d have to wait until I was emotionally and physically ready.

Ever since I woke up, I haven’t looked in a mirror. I cover up anything that can give me a reflection, which means there is a sheet on my bathroom mirror and I sit in the dark constantly. The doctors are afraid that I’ll fall into depression, but they missed that train a while ago.

I heard a knock on the door and I threw on my hoodie. It covered up my face decently and I grunted because I knew who it was.

“Hey, I brought your homework for today,” Liam said as he entered my room.

He came by every day after school and stayed all weekend. He made sure I was keeping up with my school work, but I don’t know how he can do it all. He stays on top of me, does all of his work, captain of the soccer team still, and taking care of college applications. He really is a superhero.

“Thanks,” I said softly as I extended my good hand out for the work.

He passed it to me silently and pulled up a chair. I gave him a side glance, because I know he wanted me to just take off the hood.

“So, any progress today?” Liam asked as he looked around the room.

“Does it look like I’ve made any progress?” I snapped.

“Sorry, I was just asking,” Liam said calmly. I took in the features of his face and he just looked tired. I know he was stressed with me because the cops were trying to find out who did this, but with no one really having a solid story besides some person in a mask threw lighter fluid on me and I was caught on fire, there was no evidence. Liam, Zayn, and Harry were trying to find out what was going on, but I wish they would stop.

“How was school?” I asked as I ripped a sheet of paper out of my spiral.

“It went well! Um, some of your old bible study friends said they’re praying for you.”

“Too bad they’re praying to no one.”

“What?”

“Liam, sitting in here has had me thinking, and honestly what kind of God would let this happen to me?”

“Niall, this wasn’t God.”

“Then who Liam? Who was it?”

“We don’t know yet, but don’t lose your faith in God.”

“You don’t even believe in him Liam!” I shouted at him.

“Actually I do!” He shouted back. I was stunned as I looked at him.

“What?”

“I prayed, every moment, that you would wake up. And I promised that if you woke up, then I would never let you go. It seemed as though as soon as I ended my prayer, you woke up. Niall, there is a God, and you need him now more than ever,” Liam said as he pushed my hair from my forehead.