Chapter 22 +

Chapter 22

May- Senior

[Liam’s POV]

The noise in the hallway made me smile. My classmates were all excited to be leaving high school and getting on with their lives. I smiled as each of them were adjusting their caps and gowns and wiping off makeup from kisses, but I stayed on the outskirts. Harry, Zayn, and Perrie were the only three surrounding me.

“I’m ready,” Perrie said as she put her pocket mirror back in her bag. Perrie, being the wonderful person she is, attempted to stay positive through this whole ordeal. She really was an angel.

“Okay babe, I guess I’ll see you after the ceremony,” Zayn said. They kind of lingered a bit before I let out an audible sigh.

“You guys can kiss,” I said in a nonchalant tone. Harry and Louis, and Zayn and Perrie had been keeping the PDA at an all-time low. I knew why, but they really didn’t need to. I was fine. I told them that all the time.

I was starting to believe it myself.

I didn’t look over until Zayn’s voice snapped me back to reality.

“Sorry,” he said bashfully.

“You’ve got nothing to be sorry for Zayn,” I said with a soft smile. I knew why he was saying sorry and I just wish he wouldn’t. I’m fine. I’ll be fine. Maybe.

“Line up everyone!” The head teacher called out.

I waved goodbye to Harry and Zayn as I made my way to the front of the pack. As valedictorian I got to lead in everyone. That didn’t even sound like fun.

I didn’t pay too much attention to the people around me, but I did think a lot about what if Niall was here. Would he be miserable or would we have been happy?

I sighed as the doors opened and the progression music came. I put on the best fake smile I could and began to walk in rhythm as we had gone over so many times in practice. I saw my whole family seated alongside Zayn’s family, Harry’s family, Louis and his family, and even what I believed to be Perrie’s family. I smiled as I saw them, but then my smile dropped a bit as I saw Greg and Denise sitting beside my parents.

They gave me a smile and my heart almost broke. I invited them, but I didn’t think they’d show up. I was though, deep down, grateful they came. It was weird to see those eyes again.

I turned and focused on getting up the steps and in my chair. I looked out in the sea of people to see all my classmates sitting down and they looked excited. I was happy for them. Then I saw there was one empty chair.

A spot for Niall.

I refused to cry on stage so I angrily rubbed my eyes before any tears could escape. I let my mind focus on my shoes instead of the crowd before me. I wanted this all end because I was realizing I couldn’t do it.

It was a cloudy day and kind of depressing for a graduation. I sighed as I listened to the principal introduce the class. It went on for what felt like forever until I heard my name.

“Here with the valedictorian speech is none other than our valedictorian, Liam Payne!”

I stood up as everyone applauded for me. Harry wolf whistled and it made me feel a bit better about myself. That was until I looked over at the empty seat. Niall should’ve been here. I took a shaky breath and began.

“Good morning and welcome to friends, family, and of course my fellow classmates. Although I haven’t been here all four years, I can say my time here has made me grow so much as a person. As we go on with our lives, we realize that these friendships and ties we’ve created here will live on with us forever.