Chapter 10

Versia's Pov:

Bella dashed out of the living room and toward her room.

"Follow her!"

I slammed open the front door and dashed out into the hall. I ran to the stair well. I could hear their footsteps growing closer. I grabbed the fire extinguisher off the wall.

I felt a hand grab my arm and I swung at him with the fire extinguisher. I hit him right in the jaw. I hit him again. He fell to the ground and I took off running.

I got to the outside of the building and dashed for street.

*click*

"Stop running, or else I shoot"

I stopped. I turned around.

"Hands up"

I didn't move. I stared at him.

"I said put your hands up!" He said moving forward.

I put my fire extinguisher on the ground and put my hands up.

"You had a nice run Versia. It's a shame that this is the end of the line."

I breathed in, "What do you want from me?"

"For you to suffer, but you should have already known that."

I heard the gun fire. I fell to my knees.

"LAAD agency. Stay down."

I hadn't been shot! The gun wasn't shot at me! I'm alive!

I looked up. "Cody?"

"You should've told me." He snapped.

"No, I couldn't have."

"We can talk later. Who else is with you?"

"Bella. She's still.." I paused, "In there."

"Stay here, I'll get her."

I watched him leave. He ran into the building. I didn't move. I had no where to go, and it's my fault that Bella was still in there, so I stayed.

I heard gun fire. I bit my lip. What if that was Bella's last breath being taken away? Or Cody's?"

I heard police sirens in the background. They pulled into the parking lot.

"Officer Harris. You are now a witness in this case. Please come with me." She said.

"I can't." I said staring at the ground.

"Ma'am I'm only here to protect you. Please for your sake come with me."

"I was told to stay here by an officer."

She walked away as if I was no use to her anymore.

"Where's the ambulance?" Shouted someone.

"Pulling into the lot now. Sir."

I saw Bella being carried out of the building. She laid limp in the officers arm.

I gasped. I bit my lip to keep from crying out.

I ran into the building. As I ran up the stairs I noticed the guy I had knocked out earlier. He had a gun. I grabbed it and ran up to the flat.

I stepped in the living room, there was nothing.

Cody stepped out of the hallway, and pointed his gun at me. "Clear." He said putting his gun down. He walked toward me, and grabbed my arm.

"You said you'd protect her!"

"I tries but she got shot. She'll be fine, it's just a simple leg wound. She's being put in an ambulance as we speak. It's the safest thing for her right now." He began pulling me out of the apartment but I stopped him.

"Who are you?" I snapped.

He put his hand on my shoulder. "Versia, I'm still me. I can't tell you everything." He looked me right in the eyes as he spoke.

I stared at the ground.

He put his hand on my chin. "Please, just let me help you. You can't do this alone. You don't have to do this alone."

I looked back up at him. "You can't get any more involved than you already are. This has nothing to do with you. You don't want anything to do with this. You have the option to just leave. So leave."

I pushed him away. I walked toward the stairs. I stopped when I felt his arms around my waist. "Versia, I'm not leaving. Good luck trying to get rid of me."

His breath was warm. I felt myself leaning into him. I needed him. I wanted him to be with me. I felt so safe, so secure. It's been so long since I've felt safe.

"Okay." I whispered.

He pulled away. "We've got to go down to the agency and put in your file. You can help us fill in information about Bella."

"You don't have information on us?"

"No, I don't really understand why." He shrugged.

We walked outside and he flashed his badge to one of the officers. The officer nodded and we climbed into Cody's car.

I stared down at my hands. "It's because we're being hunted."

He started the car. "What?"

"We're never on file because we have to many past lives. I've had Seven Different name. Versia, Paige, Katy, Bree, Elena, Tanya, Christy, and now I'm back to Versia. Bella's the only one who's known my real name." I bit my lip. "It started when I was sixteen, always on the move, always trying to get away." I stopped again. I felt as if I couldn't breathe.

He stopped at the stop sign. "You don't have to talk right now." He put his hand on mine.

"I have to tell you, you deserve to know."

He put his hand back on the wheel. "But that doesn't have to be right now." He paused. "You do know......Versia!" He yelled.

I saw the blinding light. I slammed into the window and my world faded.