Chapter 28

Versia's Pov:

I grabbed the knife from the wall and ran the opposite way from Karen. I ran down the hallway searching for him. Occasionally I called his name.

I reached a staircase and the only was was down. I went down the stairs.

There was only one door. I opened it. Cody sat on the floor with his hands tied, mouth covered, and blood running down his neck.

Justin emerged from the corner. "What?! She was supposed to kill you off! No matter maybe this will." He sat the bomb on the floor next to Cody. Four minutes on the timer. "No going back now."

He ran passed me and shoved me out of the way. Cody's ankles had been slashed. I couldn't carry him and there was no way he could walk.

I quickly uncovered his mouth. "Go!" He yelled.

"No! No! I'm not leaving without you!" I untied his wrist while I spoke.

He grabbed my hand "Versia, please. The last four months with you have been wonderful. Truly magical. I.... I love you. Please, go."

"I love you too. And I'm. Or leaving without you." I looked at the clock. Two and a half minutes left.

"Versia, I don't know how to diffuse a bomb. Especially one like this." He opened the lids

Four wires. White, blue, red, green.

"Don't cut red. It'll set it off immediately."

He looked at me strange but didn't question it. "Green connects to the clock so it would only stop the time from showing not the explosion."

"So it's white or blue." One minute twenty five seconds left. "I don't know!" I yelled.

"One of them will work! I don't know which one!"

"One minute left! Which one!"

"Versia you might still make it just go!"

"I won't make it in thirty second!"

I grabbed the two wire. The green one felt warm in my hand. I grabbed the white one.

With twelve seconds left I cut the white wire.

Cody wrapped his arms around me and I closed my eyes.

The impact never came. I opened my eyes.

Tears flooded my eyes. "We did it."

He pulled me closer. "We're okay. We're okay!

I sighed with relief. I looked into his eyes. "How did this even happen?"

He shook his head. "Awfully crazy, when you think about isn't it?"

I nodded agreeing with him. "What do we do know?"

"You should go get help."

"I can't leave you here. What if Justin comes back?"

"I don't think he will."

I raised my eyebrow at him.

"Karen called everyone from the agency. They were waiting for him to make his escape. I promise you they caught him."

"She works for him."

"It's complicated. I know it looks that way, but I promise that it's...." he was cut off.

"Hello, anybody?"

I jumped to my feet. "Yes!"

I saw his face.

"Zachary!"

"I'm so glad you're okay. Bella and I worried sick. Are you hurt? Don't you know where Cody is?"

"I think I'm fine. Cody's in here. He can't walk."
I pushed the door back open.

"Hey man."

Cody's facial expression dropped and he looked at me.

"You've got one bad chick."

"Hands off." I smiled at his reply.

"I didn't mean it like that. Unfortunately I don't think Bella would've defused a bomb for me. But that doesn't mean I don't care any less for her." He looked at me when he said that let part.

Zachary took out his radio and called for extra help.

I sat back down on the floor next to Cody.

"Doesn't this feel familiar?" I asked.

"Unfortunately it does."

I looked at him. "This is how everything started."

"It is. I think it started something like this."

He leaned in. I kissed him.

Four months ago, we sat in this same position. On the floor after battling this issue with Justin, and now here we are again.

I felt the same kind of safety. This was how it had started. How are life's intertwined. It was how we grew together. This was how everything began.

I never wanted this to end.