Chapter 8

Lexa

"Clarke?!" I asked urgently. I had been sitting on my bed for the past five minutes trying to get Clarke back on the "walkie". I felt tears coming to my eyes. Where was she? Was she okay?

Why was I crying about this? Clarke was probably fine. She was clever. And resourceful. And so beautiful. I shook my head. Beauty wasn't important to her survival.

There was a knock at the door before Thrandr came in.

"Heda...Titus won't eat until he sees you. He's been demanding this since he was imprisoned, and we didn't think he would go through with it. But now he's at the point of starvation."

I closed my eyes and shook my head to myself.

"I should've been informed of this before." I said, standing and putting on my armor. Titus was used to seeing me without it, and then he addressed me as Lexa. I wasn't going to be Lexa now. I was going to be the ruthless Commander who would seek the proper justice for the attempted assassination of an Ambassador and the Commander.

I walked down to the dungeon and saw Titus cowering in the corner. He looked thin, and his already sad eyes were empty. It was odd to see him like this. Apart from Gustus, Titus had been like a father. And the father I once looked up to was at my mercy.

"Titus." I barked, getting his attention. He didn't scare. He turned his head slowly and looked at me, his expression unchanging.

"Heda."

"You wanted to talk, Titus. Say what you must." I said, stepping closer to the bars of the cell.

Titus stood with difficulty. His legs shook and he had to grab onto the wall to support himself. He stumbled over until he was right in front of me.

"Forgive me, Heda." He said in a monotone voice. There was no guilt, shame or repentance in his voice. He asked for forgiveness as if he knew he didn't deserve it, but that someone told him to do so.

"I was close to death, Titus. You attempted to murder an Ambassador, and the Commander." I said, thinking of Clarke. Titus's fate would be death even if I hadn't been shot. If Clarke wasn't the Ambassador, and no one was harmed, I still would've found a way to punish Titus. Clarke was not going to suffer the same fate as Costia, and I would take every precaution to prevent that.

Where was Clarke, anyway? What if she called while I was in here, and Thrandr didn't know what to do? What if she was saying goodbye for good, and I couldn't be there to accept her call?

I turned my attention back to Titus. "The punishment in this case would be death. But I'm willing to be merciful."

Titus's expression didn't change.

"You will remain here for the rest of your life if I decide you can be forgiven. If not, you will be killed by my hand, the Ambassadors, and the people. Death by 49 cuts."

Titus remained unfazed.

"I would like you to eat so we may get the proper justice. The people will be disappointed if they cannot kill you themselves." I choked out. As much as I hated him for what he had almost done to Clarke, I didn't know if I could bare killing him.

Titus looked up at me.

"If that is all, then I will leave and the guards will bring you stale bread." I said, pausing a moment before turning and heading up the stairs.

"Wait."

I stopped on the stairs and turned.

"Clarke is a danger to you. You cannot trust her, or any of the Sky People."