Chapter 40

Lexa

"Wake up, my love." Clarke cooed next to me. I burrowed deeper into the pillows and refused to do as she asked. "Lexa..." she scolded. "Today is a big day. A big, happy day that needs its Commander in order to be celebrated."

"I don't think it needs its Commander." I reasoned, pressing my face into the pillow.

"Well, your people would probably love their Commander to be there and celebrate this holiday with them." She murmured, dragging her fingers across my back in the way that sent a warm flutter through my body.

I sighed and opened my eyes. She smiled, and the sunlight peeked behind her head so perfectly, outlining her face and illuminating her blonde locks.

Sitting up, I realized that her hair was a bit damp. I trailed my fingers through it and smiled.

"You washed your hair. You should've waited. I could've done it for you." I said.

Clarke smiled. "I didn't want to wake you. And besides, while I love it when you do with your soft, pretty hands," she said, playing with my hands and fingers. "I am perfectly capable of washing my own hair."

I laughed. "You weren't for over five months." Clarke rolled her eyes, but still held onto my hands, running her fingertips over my fingers and the palm of my hands mindlessly. I sighed and shook my head. "I suppose we should be getting ready."

Clarke nodded. We got up and she braided my hair. I had bathed last night, and my hair was now clean and shining. Clarke and I spread warpaint along our eyelashes and the rims of our eyes.

We dressed in our usual attire. We would change once the festivities began, but there was still some preparation needed.

"We should make sure that everything is being cooked." I said, latching onto her hand. We made our way down to the kitchen. Already, citizens were walking about the halls. Handmaidens seemed to be in a joyous mood and giggled with each other.

Different birds and mammals were starting to be seasoned and thrown over the fire. Dishes full of herbs and berries were being made. Clarke moved over to a table displaying jars full of a cloudy, colorless liquid.

She laughed and picked up one of the jars.

"Monty's moonshine." She said, rolling it around in her hands.

"Moonshine?" I asked.

"Alcohol." She clarified. "It's strong. And nasty. But it does the trick."

I wasn't sure what she meant by "it does the trick", but asking so many questions of Clarke made me feel unintelligent, in a way. When Clarke and her friends used Sky People phrases, for example, I felt incompetent compared to her beautiful brain.

Octavia and Raven appeared at the doorway, bundled up in many furs and boots. Raven smiled when she saw us.

"There you guys are." Raven said. "We were going to go cut down that tree."

"With what?" Clarke questioned challengingly.

Raven bit her lip.

"I can have one of my warriors do it." I offered.

"Thank you, Lexa, but I think Raven's gotta learn how to follow through." Octavia said. Raven looked at Octavia with doubtful eyes. "Anyways...do you want to join?"

"Well, I think we have some more things we need to set up—" Clarke began, looking over at me.

"No," I stopped her. "Thrandr can do it. We can be spared for an hour."