Chapter 48

Lincoln and I had been treading through the snow for half an hour when a voice broke out.

"Heda," they called. I could barely see Lincoln's face through the permanent veil of snow, much less the owner of the voice. The only light that we could make out was the dim lights of the Ark, and they did little to illuminate our path.

We ventured over to the voice to find one of my warriors huddled over a form. Even through the snow, I could see the familiar sight of crimson liquid.

"Their throat was slit, Heda." My warrior said through his face covering, his voice muffled and almost incoherent.

"Who did this?" I bent down. It was a man, clad in Ark clothing. At first, I breathed a sigh of relief because it wasn't one of my people. And then I realized that I should feel just as distraught. The Arkadians were my people,too.

"The way its cut—it's messy. Trikru would've made a clean cut." He said.

I raised my head to glance at Lincoln. He was watching me carefully. I stood and faced my warrior.

"They killed their own." I said. I looked down at the body. I didn't want my warriors to waste their strength hauling the body back to Arkadia, but I would have to notify Abby or Marcus about this. They would want to see the body and be able to confirm just as my warrior had that it was not Trikru who had killed this man. "Bring the body back to the Ark. Be gentle."

The warrior nodded. Another one nearby came and helped lift the stiff body up. They started back and I stood with Lincoln.

"They won't believe you." He said.

"They would believe me even less if I didn't bring the body in. If I kept it a secret until the storm passed."

He nodded and dropped the subject.

"I'm sorry that you have not been able to propose marriage to Octavia yet." I said to him. I began forward and he fell in step beside me.

"Clarke told you." He said.

"Yes."

"There are things happening that are more important. Uniting with Octavia can wait, even though I wish I didn't have to. I want Clarke to wake up to see her friend become a wife." He said.

I nodded. "Even so, I'm sorry that the circumstances have stopped you from doing so."

He nodded with thanks. We walked in silence until we reached the Ark. My warriors were waiting outside with the body. I was glad. I didn't want the Arkadians to see the body before I had a chance to explain.

I walked in first with Lincoln following closely behind. Once I found that the dining hall was quiet and only a few people occupied it, I nodded to my warriors. They shuffled in, and the guards who were posted by the door widened their eyes at the sight. They shut the door and stepped back.

"What happened?" One demanded. 

I didn't want to go around throwing accusations. If I blatantly said that Skaikru killed their own people, they would never believe me.

"My warrior found him outside with his throat slit." I said. I took a breath. I had to make sure I said this without placing blame. "The cut is jagged and unclean. Trikru do not kill like this."

The guards' eyes drifted from the body to me.

"Are you saying that an Arkadian killed an Arkadian?"

I swallowed. "Not necessarily, but it cannot be ruled out."

Lincoln stirred behind me. He was nervous about how the Arkadians were reacting. I knew, as he stood close, ready to fight, he would fight them to protect his Heda. The guard wasn't willing to fight. He knew he was outnumbered and outskilled, especially in close range.