Chapter 20

Lexa

I stirred and opened my eyes to a face full of blonde hair. I pulled my head back, feeling a few strands in my mouth. Gross, Clarke. I pulled at them to get them out, but there was still one left. As I struggled to catch it, Clarke woke and looked up at me.

"What are you doing?"

I stopped, my hand in my mouth. "Ah....nothing."

"Really?" Clarke asked, unconvinced.

I sighed. "I'm getting hair out of my mouth."

Clarke nodded and smiled, and then she realized that it was her hair based off of the blonde color dangling out of my mouth.

"Oh." She said, crimson staining her cheeks. "Sorry."

"It's okay, Clarke." I said, pulling the last hair out triumphantly.

She smiled sheepishly and sat up, pulling the covers up with her.

"How are you not cold?" She asked, pointing to my bare, exposed torso.

I looked down and shrugged. "I have always known the bite of autumn and winter. I suppose I have grown tolerant of it. Have you not?"

She shook her head, shivering slightly. "No. I don't think I ever will."

I smiled. "Then you can bring the furs along with you."

"That won't be weird." Clarke said sarcastically.

"Then I will have a fur coat made for you out of the softest, warmest material." I said, pushing the covers off me and standing. I slipped on some warm pants, a shirt and began to put on my armor.  "In the meantime, bring them for our journey back to Polis."

She nodded and stood with all the furs, walking over to me with a train behind her. I walked over to my bags and began to put what was left of my clothes in them. "Are you sure I don't need to pack anything?" She asked.

I shook my head. "Not unless you want to bring something from Arkadia."

"I already got a few things the other day." Clarke said. "They're in my tent."

"Then they will be packed with the rest of your things. Did you bring clothes?"

Clarke bit her lip. "Should I?"

"Actually, no. I think that my people will be more accepting of you if you dress as they do. You don't have to wear bones or teeth, just something simple." I said, folding another shirt and placing it in my bag. "We can get you some things in Polis."

Clarke nodded. I noticed her reluctance.

"Unless...unless you're more comfortable in your own clothes, which would be understandable." I said.

She shook her head. "No, no, I'll happily wear grounder clothes. I just don't think that clothes are going to change how they feel about me."

I stepped toward her and placed my hand on her waist. I loved how I could just do that now without any tension or reservement. It was natural and Clarke seemed as comfortable with the motion as I was.

"I will change how they feel about you." I said, staring intently in her eyes. She looked up at me under her eyelashes.

"Okay." She murmured. I smiled and continued to pack.

"We'll be leaving in an hour, so make sure your mother and friends are here to send you off." I said, closing up my bag. "I will check on Octavia and Lincoln."

Clarke nodded and we walked out the tent together. She smiled at me before walking off in the opposite direction, towards Arkadia. I walked toward Octavia and Lincoln's tent, hoping they were decent.